10 days out and I cant take the sweet protein drinks!

newbie22
on 9/13/15 10:33 pm

Hi everyone! I am 10 days post sleeve. So far I am struggling to get my protein in. I have no problem getting my water in. All the protein drinks are too sweet. They make me gag and I can barely choke half of it down. Does anyone have any suggestions for a not sweet protein shake. I am in the full liquids phase for a few more days. Thanks for the help!

Tracy S.
on 9/14/15 10:35 am

Try premier protein.  It's very thin like skim milk and has a very very light chocolate flavor.  (they have vanilla too..I've never tried it).  I am not a sugar eater...my evil was always salt...so if it's not sugary to me I doubt you will find it sugary to you.  :)  I get mine at BJs wholesale for $20 for a case of 12 or 16..I forget.  They are yummy!

Kerrilp37
on 9/14/15 5:45 am, edited 9/14/15 5:45 am

Try a Pea or Hemp based protein shake. I find these are less sweet! 

Gwen M.
on 9/14/15 12:49 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Unjury makes a chicken broth protein, so it's savory instead of sweet.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Eggface
on 9/14/15 3:05 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Celebrate Vitamins makes a Chicken Broth and Tomato Soup Protein drink but requires ordering. 

Hmmm immediate helps... maybe make your shake warm... like a hot cocoa... mix in cold milk or water first then raise the temp (to avoid clumps) for a change.

If you can have coffee... toss a stick of instant coffee in the blender with your shake... it'll tame the sweetness.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Oneillch
on 9/14/15 6:15 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Syntrax Nectar unflavoured protein is a powder that can be added to whatever you're having.

psychoticparrot
on 9/14/15 6:19 pm

To this day, I cannot drink a protein shake -- that's how sick I was of them by the time I could start eating pureed and soft foods. So I know exactly how you feel. I was allowed strained low-calorie cream soups that provided a break from the shakes. Anything to get away from those shakes!

On the positive side, the shakes pretty much killed my sweet tooth. When I'm hit with a carb craving, it's now usually (not always!) for salty carbs, which are easier to resist.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

newbie22
on 9/14/15 7:12 pm

I am almost finished this stage and can't wait to move onto the puréed soft foods. I agree with you I will never crave the sweet again after the protein shakes are done! I was allowed cream strained soups as well. I ordered some unflavored protein but it still hasn't arrived yet! Am hoping it comes in the next day or so. 

Thanks for all the advice!

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/15 8:40 pm

Can you tell me more about the soups you had instead of protein shakes. I have tried everything and having a hard time drinking without feeling sick the whey powder is nasty. Any suggestions much appreciated.  I love my bullet I got but can't seem to enjoy my drinks to taste good.

psychoticparrot
on 9/16/15 7:19 pm

I didn't drink the soup instead of the protein shakes. I had soup occasionally when the mere thought of another protein shake made me gag. They were just the Campbell's "lite" versions of cream of chicken/celery/mushroom canned soup. You make them as directed, then pour through a strainer to get out the little lumps of chicken/celery/mushrooms. I did not add protein powder to the soup. If I had subsisted on the soups alone, I would have had to put protein in them. 

Although it seems like forever, the protein shake phase is relatively short -- mine was about two weeks. Keep trying to chug the shakes down, or try some of the many suggestions the other posters have made.

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics