Need help-15 month post op

Napua1973
on 9/12/15 1:58 pm

Im 15 months out,  i haven't lost weight in 6 months.   I don't know what to easy and I've lost my way. 

It started with work stress,  chips,  sweets,  donuts, ......never the amounts i use to but now I'm eating carbs everyday. 

I don't know what to eat out what to pack for lunch. 

I drank a 12oz fruit smoothie. ...but i can't drink liquids by gusselling.  I get full from liquid fast,  but i drank that whole smoothie! 

Please help me.   I've lost my way and i don't know what to do. 

Dan1962
on 9/12/15 3:59 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Dense protein and water will help.  Also being active will help tremendously also.  Get rid of the carbs, all of them.  You do not need them.  

Shel25
on 9/12/15 4:19 pm

Do you have a log of what you were eating when you were still losing weight?  Maybe you can replicate a week or two to help you get back on track.  If you need bigger volume because you are farther out then perhaps add another protein meal or protein snack.

My work meals this last week included frozen shrimp, turkey, pork loin, tomatoes/cucumber, buffalo chicken.  The shrimp and turkey required  zero prep besides weighing.  The pork loin and buffalo chicken were leftovers that are frozen in 2.5 oz portions so I can just grab them and go. 

Speaking of weighing, track everything --- even the carbs you wish weren't there.  I find that actions (like weighing and tracking) make me feel more in control and my food behaviors improve.  

When I want to eat because of stress I chant internally "food will not solve this, food will not solve this...."   You need to find something else to sooth you besides food.  

I'm sure you are going to hear more about the carbs but I bet you already know those simply need to go unless they are non-starchy veges. If they are in the house, throw them out right now. Personally, I would stay away from fruit smoothies, too. 

It really is a matter of you taking action....but I know you can do it. 

Best wishes!

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

psychoticparrot
on 9/12/15 5:38 pm

Junk carbs create cravings for more junk carbs. They must be eliminated -- permanently.

In this thread from a few days ago, kairk outlined a detox restart for those who have gotten away from healthy eating and their weight loss has stalled. It's extremely good advice:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/5367677/HELP-CARB-ATTA CK/#45095225

In addition, I recommend "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success" by Dr. Duc Vuong (available on Amazon). He is a weight-loss surgeon and recommends a way of eating that helps sleeve patients reduce those carb cravings we all get. 

Good luck to you. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

psychoticparrot
on 9/12/15 6:57 pm

Also want to add that attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings can be very effective. Better diet and exercise will help you with the physical side of weight loss; OA can help with the emotional aspects of weight loss (and gain). If your experience tells you that junk carbs are to you what heroin is to a junkie (not kidding!), then OA is for you. You don't have to be a religious person to attend. The program works for anyone who takes it to heart.

psychoticparrot 

Oneillch
on 9/12/15 10:42 am, edited 9/12/15 10:43 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Realizing you're having a problem & coming here is a great first step to getting back on track! I just went back to work after a 2 yr hiatus & was dreading it for the same reasons......what do I eat, how do I avoid the break room goodies & sales mtg leftovers, the stress, etc.

So far, I make sure to plan out my meals/snacks for the next day and pack my lunch & snack(s) that same night. Usually it's leftovers or deli & a cheese stick and for a snack, I'll have an oz of beef jerkey or 10 almonds or a hard boiled egg. I also keep almonds & no sugar added peach snack packs in my desk for emergencies. If we go out, I try and find out where we're going so I can look at the menu online and know what I'm going to order. If I don't know, then I'll order something that's primarily a lean protein and I ask the waitress to sub the potato or rice for a veg. I love it when we go to a place that serves breakfast all day & will have an eggwhite omlette with veggies or bacon. Just ask the waitress to hold the toast and potatoes (and because I'm in the south, the grits). This way there's no arguing with myself about only having a little bit. I also try to limit my trips to the break room to only twice a day to get my coffee & water and to get my lunch. 

Yes, it does take a lot of planning & extra work, but it's so worth it. I know if I eat as I go, I'll never be able to stay on track. I'm only 7 months out (18 lbs from a normal bmi) & far from being a veteran. As for the work stress, I'll have to see what happens then.  I hope some of this has helped. 

joatsaint
on 9/12/15 6:31 pm - TX

You're on the right track to getting back on track. :-) Asking for help and taking action will help you get to where you want to be.

From my own experience, when I eat things like processed foods, frozen dinners, fruit, and sugar filled foods, I get hungrier as I eat.

To combat those head hunger cravings, I eat protein first and get filled up.

After that, if I know I'm full, but still have head hunger, I allow myself a bite or two of the thing I'm craving. But only a bite or two.

That is enough to quite my head hunger and I'm slowly retraining my brain to reach for protein when it craves sweets.

I don't drink my meals because liquids of any kind just don't stick with me.

For lunches, I normally carry my own. I make enough food to last the week on Sundays.

It's usually pork loin or chicken, cooked simply in a crock pot with my favorite spice mix - Adobo.

And I'll pack 2 apples as snacks.

I do my best to avoid the prepackaged protein foods in the deli section, as I don't know what added stabilizers, salt, and flavor enhancers are in them and if they will trigger food cravings.

I've tried to live by this rule: You should only eat foods that are the ingredients for other foods. In other words, stick to eating things as processed as little as possible.

I hope this helps.

If you want to change...
...here's the truth
YES, you can. Yes, you can eat better. Yes, you can get up earlier. Yes, you can get back in shape at any age. Yes, you can have more all-day energy. Yes, you can change your attitude about life. Yes, you can achieve your big goals & dreams. Yes, you can.

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/13/15 7:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On September 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, Napua1973 wrote:

Im 15 months out,  i haven't lost weight in 6 months.   I don't know what to easy and I've lost my way. 

It started with work stress,  chips,  sweets,  donuts, ......never the amounts i use to but now I'm eating carbs everyday. 

I don't know what to eat out what to pack for lunch. 

I drank a 12oz fruit smoothie. ...but i can't drink liquids by gusselling.  I get full from liquid fast,  but i drank that whole smoothie! 

Please help me.   I've lost my way and i don't know what to do. 

I think you do know what to do -- but you are not doing it.

Everyone has stress -- stress at work, stress about money, stress with family, etc but not everyone uses food to deal with these stresses. -- if you are emotionally eating you need to address that issue.  That may mean joining an overeater's group, getting counseling, etc.   That is the head work that the long-term successful vets talk about. 

All WLS have a major rule in common: PROTEIN FIRST.  No one's plan includes chips, sweets, donuts or fruit smoothies.  

Again, you DO know what to do.  You may need some support in your life and some tools to help you rather than relying on food.  I sincerely hope that you will seek that out so that you can continue back to a path of success.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Luvmygs
on 9/13/15 10:46 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I'm 9 months post op and was starting to eat more carbs. Someone on OH mentioned about Dr. Du Vuong and his book "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success." I read his book and it has brought me back on track again. Starting to lose after a 4 month stall. Unfortunately, it is all the junk that we bring back into our eating habits. We can do this, try and get back on eating protein first and drinking plenty of water. If you get hungry have some veggies or fruit.

psychoticparrot
on 9/13/15 1:18 pm, edited 9/13/15 1:19 pm

It was probably from me that you heard about Dr. Vuong's book. I've recommended it many times on this forum. I even mentioned it earlier in this thread! I'm so glad it's helped you. Thanks for spreading the word about this book -- it's a godsend to sleevers, especially those who are letting junk carbs creep back into their diet. His advice is logical, supported by research, and easy to follow.

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics