Reassurance please!

Hkinzfnp
on 9/15/15 10:45 am

I have heard so many times this is normal but still driving me nuts.  I am 3 weeks and 1 day since VSG and scale hasn't moved in a week.  Not one bit.  I've been on purée foods for 6 days and I'm getting usually 400-500 calories per day.  Meeting my 60 gram protein goal (barely cause I get so full).  Meeting my water requirements exactly so going to try and increase fluids today.

Again, I know this is normal but would still take any suggestions for breaking this plateau.  I'll give people yesterday's menu and welcome any suggestions.

Breakfast: protein shake with PB 2

Lunch: 1 scrambled egg with one ounce of Swiss cheese.  Ate probably 3/4.

dinner: 2oz crabmeat with 1 1/2 tbsp of light mayo

snack: 1/2 cup skim milk.

thanks in advance for any suggestions or for telling me to settle down if that's what's needed ;)

Scott S.
on 9/15/15 11:04 am - TX

Everyone is different!  One thing I learned early on is that the loss will come when the body is ready.  I had some "quick" results, but then by week 2, they slowed, and then picked back up in week 4, then slowed... you get the point!

Your body will adjust, and then move forward.  hang in there, work the system. Stalls are part of the deal!

Good luck!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Tracy D.
on 9/15/15 4:15 am, edited 9/15/15 4:27 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You're not at a "plateau" and you haven't "stalled out" on weight loss.  Not even possible at 3 weeks out.  You can complain about plateaus and stalls when your weight hasn't moved in a month despite doing everything perfectly 

This is completely expected and natural.  Your body is replacing it's glycogen stores and will be retaining lots of water right now so the scale won't move even though you are losing fat.  A half-gallon of water weighs 4 lbs!  

This journey is about FAT loss, not WEIGHT loss.  If you want to lose a quick 10 lbs. you can cut off your arm, but would you be any less fat?  Nope.  Right now today, make a commitment to stop measuring your success by the bathroom scale.  If you do that I can promise you a much more pleasurable journey on the path to your goal weight.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Grim_Traveller
on 9/15/15 1:11 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

^^^^This times 1,000

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

suzyq584
on 9/15/15 1:31 pm

For this EXACT reason I am giving my scale to my sister for safe keeping following my surgery.  I KNOW I will be one of us who panics and freaks out when the scale doesn't move.  I don't want to do that to myself!!! 

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/15 1:59 pm

THIS, THIS, THIS!!!!!

She knows of what she writes. Read and learn!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/15/15 12:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Search the boards for "3 week stall." Pretty much EVERYBODY sees a short period with no loss as their body adjusts to surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 9/15/15 2:24 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM Pacific Time, Hkinzfnp wrote:

I have heard so many times this is normal but still driving me nuts.  I am 3 weeks and 1 day since VSG and scale hasn't moved in a week.  Not one bit.  I've been on purée foods for 6 days and I'm getting usually 400-500 calories per day.  Meeting my 60 gram protein goal (barely cause I get so full).  Meeting my water requirements exactly so going to try and increase fluids today.

Again, I know this is normal but would still take any suggestions for breaking this plateau.  I'll give people yesterday's menu and welcome any suggestions.

Breakfast: protein shake with PB 2

Lunch: 1 scrambled egg with one ounce of Swiss cheese.  Ate probably 3/4.

dinner: 2oz crabmeat with 1 1/2 tbsp of light mayo

snack: 1/2 cup skim milk.

thanks in advance for any suggestions or for telling me to settle down if that's what's needed ;)

is that real crabmeat or imitation? The imitation crap is full of sugar.

Hkinzfnp
on 9/15/15 4:28 pm

Real deal!  I have been craving seafood so hubs got me the nice stuff.  ;)

starchygirl
on 9/15/15 2:35 pm

I didn't loose anything from week 3 to week 6.  Then I dropped 10 pounds in 5 days.  I know it is frustrating, but just keep at it!  I lost more when I didn't have to worry about what I could have, and if a new food was going to bother me or not.

Most Active
Recent Topics