HELP? total newbie

jvross4
on 9/11/15 10:30 pm

Hi i had my sleeve done on 9/2/2015. beginning weight 206, day of surgery 199 first week check up 9/9/2015, 190 but since wed i have not lost anything i have remained the same im still on the full liquid diet i have no problems with liquids and can hold about 2 oz of creamy soups. but i feel like i should be losing with the amount of calories im having?? Is this normal??

cappy11448
on 9/12/15 1:04 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you'll find it as supportive and informative as I have.  Weight on the scale can vary for a number of reasons beyond fat loss.  Water retention, time of month, or just the body taking some time to shift and re-adjust.  If you stick to your plan, you will be burning fat, even though it may not show up on the scale immediately.

Early on, someone told me, "This is a marathon, its not a sprint."  Its about developing healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime. And in the long-run, does it matter if we reach goal at 6 months or 12 months or 18 months post op?  If every month we weigh less, and are healthier and have more energy, does it matter how fast we lose?   I drove myself crazy with every stall, and looking back, I can see I did fine.  So try to relax and enjoy the process.

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SouthernmostStar
on 9/12/15 9:25 am
VSG on 01/25/12

Great reminders, Carol.  I can easily torment myself with unhelpful "stinking thinking", even more than three years post-surgery.  I've been stalled and battling my eating disorder habits for a longgg time, but am back on track.  Thank you for reminding me not to focus so much on how much I lose or how fast I lose it.  Right now, the only thing that matters is to follow my plan, live a healthier lifestyle, and trust that the weight will come off. 

Thanks!

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Simone13
on 9/12/15 5:37 am

It's totally normal!!!   It happened to me a out the second week. But it only lasted about 4 days.  No worries....the scale will move!  Stick to your diet and enjoy all the Non Scale Victories!!!!

Donna L.
on 9/12/15 4:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The closer you are to your ideal weight the slower you lose, as well.  It seems those of us 300+ lose faster until we get under 200.  I lost 60 lbs since surgery on June 22nd, but it has been crawling the past two weeks.  It's my first stall so I'm trying to be patient, so it's sure frustrating sometimes.  

Weight loss is actually hormonal in addition to calories in/out.  It's not only a simple energy exchange. .

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

jvross4
on 9/12/15 4:12 pm

Thank you. i tried to prepare myself that mine might come off slower but it seems with less than 400 calories a day i would lose and its kind of frustrating.LOl

joatsaint
on 9/12/15 7:06 pm - TX

What you're experiencing is totally normal.

My doc said I should not expect dramatic weight loss for the 1st 2 weeks post-op, because of all the swelling. Plus my body thought it was starving and hanging onto every calorie it could.

And he was right, I barely lost 5 lbs, but by the end of the month, I was down 22 lbs.

In 6 months, you'll be wondering what you were worried about.

I remember that it took me months to build up the confidence that WLS was going to work for me and weight loss is not a steady downward path. Your body has to adjust to it's new way of life.

I learned to stick to my doctor's guidelines, stick with what he knew worked for his patients. Don't fiddle with the plan! :-)

Hang in there, it gets sooooo much better and it's all worth it!

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

Tracy S.
on 9/13/15 11:54 am

I'm on day 13, lost weight for the first week every time I stepped on the scale.  I decided stepping on the scale was GOOOOOD...till I hit my stall at 200.6.  I literally on day 4 shook the scale to see if it was broken lol.  I wanted so badly to see 199 and be out of the 200's!  I was driving myself CRAZY.  I committed myself to only weighing myself once a week on Mondays and to not freak out over a number.  I SEE myself shrinking...my face is tiny!  My stomach is shrinking...my butt...well....it's still huge lol.  It will come.  Try not to torture yourself with the scale.  I will try too.  It's hard to do all liquids and fell like you are not getting results.  You are...it will drop...it will probably drop in a big way at some point.  Hang in there!  (oh...I committed myself to mondays right after that damn scale said 199.8..hahaha.  WOOT!)

jvross4
on 9/13/15 5:47 pm

Sounds like we had ours around the same time.im gonna do the same stay off scales maybe once a week lol I did weight toady and I am at 187 so I have lost a few since post so I'm happy.i am counting minutes till this wed. I get to move to mushy foods and out of liquids .

Tracy S.
on 9/13/15 6:56 pm

I had a yogurt today..it was like heaven LOL

Most Active
Recent Topics