Gall Bladder Concerns

micrene
on 9/9/15 8:16 pm - Melbourne, FL

HI!  I am a little over 8 weeks out, feeling fabulous with the weight loss to date... 47 total, 31 since surgery.  But... yesterday I work up with pain on my right side upper abdomen that did not go away all day.  When I went to bed I could not lay on my right side at all without tremendous pain, and I could not take a deep breath without pain.  Sitting up right today, I can still feel a slight pain.  So I have called my doctor and she has me coming in tomorrow morning first thing, but I was wondering... is this normal?  Has anyone else had these issues?

Neesie57
on 9/9/15 11:00 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I had my gallbladder out many years ago, but I still remember the pain from the gallbladder attacks.  Searing pain just to the right of my sternum, and it burned all the way into my back.  I only had two attacks before the doctor did surgery.  It was the easiest surgery I ever had, and when we all celebrated Christmas 6 days after my surgery, I felt great and had no residual affects.  

I hope it's an easy fix like your gallbladder, or nothing at all.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

MissNexxie
on 9/10/15 5:59 am
VSG on 04/30/14

It could be your gallbladder and it's great you're getting it checked out.  This is not uncommon for WLS patients to need this removed.  I had to have mine out almost one year exactly after my sleeve surgery.  It was day surgery and super easy.  MUCH easier recovery than the sleeve.  GB attacks can become more frequent and longer in duration and very, very painful as times goes on so it's good you're getting it checked out.Good luck.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

ElizaM
on 9/10/15 6:06 am
VSG on 07/24/14

An ultrasound should turn it up if that's the problem and if it has to come out, they will schedule your surgery promptly. I would not say that surgery is a piece of cake (I wound up being hospitalized for two nights, although that's pretty unusual), it's still surgery and IME it still sucked, but the recovery was definitely easier than the sleeve. The C02 pain, incisions and resulting pain are similar, but the dietary progression isn't there so recovery is just less complicated. The lifting restrictions will be the same. 

If it is your gallbladder, and right side upper abdomen is the right spot for sure, I'm sure your doctor will tell you all of this, but still: if you have a fever, go to the ER right away. Attacks themselves probably don't warrant a trip to the ER (although they might feel like they do), but attacks + fever do. Eat as low fat a diet as you can leading up to surgery. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

MaraFaith
on 9/10/15 9:31 am - denham springs, LA

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I did have my galbladder out in June of 2013 after losing 100lbs in a very short time. It started with similar symptoms to yours, but worked its way up to full out attacks. I'm so happy you are going to get it checked out tomorrow, definitely don't put it off! The  attacks feel like someone is taking a white hot poker and shoving it through slightly below your sternum and the bile backup can cause great damage to your pancreas and liver. The surgery is a piece of cake though!

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

micrene
on 9/14/15 9:09 pm - Melbourne, FL

Thanks everyone.  I am waiting to be scheduled for the ultrasound this week.  My doctor stated that it was very possible to need it removed, but the ultrasound will determine specifically.  The pain subsided and has not been as bad, but it has not gone away completely.  I can sleep at night... it was only that one night, but it feels like I have a huge bruise right where it hurts.  

I guess we will see soon!

Most Active
Recent Topics