Off liquids today and feeling nervous

Hkinzfnp
on 9/9/15 3:56 pm

Met with the nutritionist today and had my diet advanced onto soft foods.  Tonight I made a 1 egg omelette with some melted cheese (one of her suggestions).  I ate about 3/4 and then was full.  She didn't give me quite as much guidance as I'd hoped as far as what to expect to with portion sizes.  For example, if I bring tuna or refried beans for lunch at work tomorrow how much should I bring?  1/4 or 1/2 cup.  Any guidance on this stage or food suggestions would be welcomed.  I'm really scared of getting this wrong or stretching my sleeve out.  :(

psychoticparrot
on 9/9/15 4:14 pm

Take the 1/2 cup portion to work only if you're willing to discard what you can't eat. You won't stretch your sleeve at your stage. If you eat too much, you'll throw it back up, which is not good for your healing stomach. Personally, I'd take the 1/4 cup portion. You won't be able to overeat your sleeve (or have the socially embarrassing hurl), yet it will be enough to make you feel satisfied.

Foods? There's the ever-popular microwaved ricotta w/Italian sauce lunch. You already have the eggs, tuna, and beans in your arsenal. Very gently cooked white fish goes down pretty well. I really don't remember much of what I ate then. I had complications that left me pretty sick. But you're back at work already! Good for you!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Hkinzfnp
on 9/9/15 4:29 pm

You've responded to a few of my posts and been SO helpful- thank you!!  I will plan to bring 1/4 cup with me for lunch and if I'm hungry later I'll have a small snack.  But hunger hasn't been an issue until this point at all.  I will try the microwaved ricotta, that sounds good.  Anything sounds better than 3 protein shakes/day!!  ;)

alouisa63
on 9/9/15 4:35 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

For me, shrimp went down really easy.  Packaged tuna and salmon were still too dry even with the light mayo so I mix them with 1/4 cup of greek yogurt :)  

You'll be surprised at how little you'll actually eat at lunch.  Today I had one lite hot dog and 2 oz of a white bean salad I made.... and didn't fini**** all.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

4khansen
on 9/9/15 6:10 pm - IA
VSG on 07/01/15

I agree with others.. you won't need much.  I hadn't heard of the microwaved ricotta option before... lol missed out on that, and I love ricotta.  I ate quite a bit of that room temp though.  My surgeon and nutritionist had me on 3 snacks a day of approx. 1 cup of skim milk, I would sometimes mix in sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast in the milk which added about 13 grams of protein to it.   

My meals were similar to yours, refried beans work well at this time.  Eggs, eggs, eggs...... of course.  a few tablespoons of anything will fill you up but again I don't think you need to worry about stretching the stomach.  I would just stick the leftovers at lunch in the frig at work and eat it the next day if it will hold.  I also would take it home with me and eat it for supper, but again I am a guy and I will eat old warm food.. lol.  No matter how unpleasant it might look by then.  You will find your water intake between meals does a great job of keeping you full and satisfied.  I am nearly 3 months out and still only eat maybe a cup of food at lunch. 

Today for example, was a eggplant parm which I made with parmesan as the crust on the eggplant, not fried but baked with a little bread crumb mixed in...and the marinara was mixed with Italian sausage to up the protein level of the food.  Along with the fresh mozzarella it worked well and I baked it in small ramekins.  I had a few raw radishes and a greek yogurt.  I did not eat any of the yogurt and it took me an hour to down all the eggplant parm in a 3/4 cup size ramekin.

HW: 336.5 (March 1, 2015), Height: 5'11", Birthdate: November 8, 1955

VSG: July 1, 2015 288.0 lbs, University of Iowa Hospitals -- Dr. Isaac Samuel

CW: 196 lbs, goal: 186

8/2/15 -- 263.8 | 8/30/15 -- 256.0 | 9/20/15 -- 248.6 | 11/1/15 -- 240.6 | 11/29/15 -- 233.2 | 1/3/16 -- 227.4 | 1/31/16 -- 218.6 | 2/28/16 -- 211.2 | 3/27/16 -- 204.6 | 5/2/2016 -- 206.6 | 5/30/2016 -- 203.8 | 7/7/2016 --198.8 | 8/1/2016 -- 197.8 | 1/25/2017 -- 196.3 | 3/23/2017 -- 194

Neesie57
on 9/9/15 11:13 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Just remember to eat very small bites, putting your spoon down between bites.  It will allow your stomach to "catch up" with how much food you're putting in it.  Right now, 5 weeks out, I can eat about ¼-⅓ of a cup, or a little over 2 ounces.  If I take my time, about 20 minutes to eat that much, I feel very satisfied.  If I eat too fast, I feel awful: too full and burpie. 

Take your time, use a baby spoon, eat slowly and you will be fine.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Bugrussell
on 9/10/15 5:40 am

I'm starting my pureed foods stage today.  I had a dream last night that I ate too much and felt awful.  I do have to say that just yesterday I couldn't put another strained food to my lips.  I'm glad that i didn't have any issues before then.

For breakfast i plan on having yogurt.  Lunch i have small curd cottage cheese with sauce and just a little bit of part skim cheese.  I brought some apple sauce for just in case.

Good luck to you today!

amaral1407
on 9/10/15 7:30 am - WA

Hey the recipe for ricotta cheese sounds awesome.  Can someone please let me know what it is.  Soon I will be on soft foods, I am so sick of liquids cannot wait to try something different. 

Most Active
Recent Topics