Pressure cooker and kitchen gadget disease

happyteacher
on 9/7/15 5:25 pm

I own 3 pressure cookers of varying sizes, all stove top. I love them. If you have not tried one, a working mom can put a dinner on the table starting from scratch in 15 minutes flat. With that said, I have been contemplating adding an electric pressure cooker to the mix. Instantpot has one out that does yogurt, doubles as a crock pot, and has blue tooth capability. I can't decide if I just have another case of kitchen gadget disease, or if it is worth adding to my rather out of control collection of gadgets. I like the idea of setting it and forgetting it, and possibly would like the delay option for the crockpot. Not sure how much slower it is though compared to my stovetop, but then again I would already have that so I could use whichever one suits the need. Anyone have one? Is it worth replicating the stove top options?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

deedeetris
on 9/7/15 5:54 pm

Well, the disease must be catching!!  I just bought an electric pressure cooker from QVC and I've used it for the last four days!  I love it!!  It is a cook's essential that was on special last week.  I do have a stove top version, but was so afraid of it that I thought I'd try this.   I am so glad that I purchased it--I have never hear of one that makes yogurt--hmmm, now you have me thinking!!  :)  Go for it!! Dee

happyteacher
on 9/7/15 6:05 pm

Lol, a lady after my own heart. So are you finding that you use the electric in place of your stovetop? Too early to tell if you are still in the honeymoon stage with it? Does it take a lot longer to get to pressure compared to your stovetop?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/15 8:03 am - OH

I grew up using a pressure cooker and could never be without one!  A while back, I bought an Emeril Lagasse electric pressure cooker to try to avoid the scorching that can sometimes happen with the stover top pressure cooker when I make stroganoff.  I like it for that reason, and used it several times right after I got it, but now I generally use my old Presto stove top one.  It is easier, a bit faster (since it can be heated up faster), and it is easier to clean up.

If you already have THREE pressure cookers, I would try to resist the urge to buy another one just because it is electric... but I completely understand the "kitchen gadget" disease, so won't fault you if you buy it anyway, LOL.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

happyteacher
on 9/8/15 3:28 pm

Ahh... great input. Thankyou! I was hoping someone out there had both styles and could indicate if it was mostly just redundant. Speed is the number one issue for me, so that is the deciding factor right there. Thanks for the reply!

Neesie57
on 9/7/15 8:46 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Oh no, something else to think about for my gadget crazy husband.  Since he does all the cooking in the house, maybe I should get him one of those.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

happyteacher
on 9/8/15 4:17 am

If he doesn't use a pressure cooker, it is amazing. The model I am eyeing at the moment is this one , but the bluetooth version is quite a bit more. Eventually the bluetooth one will have a gazillion recipes that you can access via a phone app that will run the script for your pressure cooker, so literally just load it and forget it. Not sure if that is worth the extra money, but intriguing for sure. The 7 in 1 will do yogurt, but the 6 in 1 does not if you are looking for that feature. I currently own the Fagor set from Costco and one other sized Fagor- love them! Costco has a fantastic price on that set. A great starter cookbook is Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass. Your husband will love it! The food is prepared much healthier, nutrients stay in, super fast cooking speed (1/3 the time typically), and the meat comes out fork tender and perfect for our sometimes finicky tummies. 

Atlanta_Forever
on 9/9/15 4:47 am
VSG on 03/17/14

I have been wanting a pressure cooker for the last year, but haven't pulled the trigger. Your post did it for me. I'm going for it!

Not sure which one is right for us, but it's going to happen!!

happyteacher
on 9/9/15 2:31 pm

It is my favorite pan in the kitchen, and second only to my beloved Vitamix! Good luck with the pressure cooking thing, and enjoy those fast healthy meals!

psychoticparrot
on 9/8/15 3:22 pm

I belong to a subset of those with kitchen gadget disease. Since I've been living on my boat since mid-April, I've been looking for kitchen (aka galley) items that do the job with a minimum of storage space. Keep in mind that my galley is smaller than the main closet in the condo I owned until early this year.

Last week I bought a silicon vegetable steamer, it conforms to any pot you put it in and stores flat for storage.

But my greatest triumph (if you want to call it that) was the purchase of a Magma-brand cookware set. It consists of a stockpot, three saucepans, a saute pan, two lids, and two detachable handles. When stacked properly, it takes up 1/2 square foot of storage space. AND, it's all marine-grade stainless steel with heavy bottoms of stainless clad aluminum. Perfection!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics