Stalled and Need Help!

SouthernmostStar
on 9/5/15 4:02 pm
VSG on 01/25/12

Hi, Everyone,

It's been a lonnngggggg time since I came to this forum.  I had my VSG in January 2012 and did great for the first two years.  While I never got all of the way to goal, I transformed my life in terms of eating healthier, eating less and being much more physically active.  It was nothing short of a miracle for me how my life and health improved.

Then I stalled.  My weight loss slowed.  My surgeon's suggestion was that I cut my calorie count by anothe 25% which would have put me in the 600 calorie range.  That just sounded unhealthy and drastic to me. 

I have binge eating disorder/compulsive overeating disorder and I have struggled with all of the old food thoughts.  Even though I am restricted in the amount I can eat thanks to the surgery, I can still find ways to eat inappropriately if I'm having a relapse with the disease thinking.  I've gained about 20 pounds and I am terrified of gaining more, but am equally determined to fight my way through.

My issue is that I have no idea what I should be eating now.  Do I go back to the 800-1000 calorie approach that I followed for the first two years or is my body rebelling.  How many carbs are too many?  Is fruit okay?  Do I need to go back to 65 g of protein?

When I try to follow that original approach, it seems like my body rebels and the weight still doesn't budge.

I would love to hear from all of you who are about at the same stage as I am, or who have experienced similar stalled issues.   Like I said, I am determined to not regain all of the weight that I fought so hard to lose and slide back into the unhealthy, super obese, sedentary lifestyle.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or inspiration you can share!

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dan1962
on 9/5/15 4:52 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I would go back to basics.  Eight cups of water a day minimum, 65-80 grams of protein and less than 40 grams of carbs.  Calories of 800-1,000 per day is where I was after 6 months or so and hit gaol in 11 months.  I've bumped up to 1,400 calories and dropped another 3 so far but I'm sticking with it for the time being.  I'd have fruits and veggies in small quantities only.  Good luck.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/15 9:59 am, edited 9/5/15 9:59 am

Hi -Congratulations on coming back and asking for advice! Great step to take to support your weight loss endeavors!

My surgery was in December 2011 -  a month or so before yours. I have had some regain over the past two years. I've posted volumes on it, but ....

I have found that with a fully mature sleeve the 600-800 calorie or even 800-1000 calorie a day plan is pretty harsh (but I'm a man). I am losing my regain eating about 1300 calories per day.

What truly became key for me was giving up sugar (and believe me there is A LOT of food prepared with sugar!) packaged/processed foods, and severely limiting white flour. My absolute MINIMUM protein intake for a day is 80 grams, but I shoot for 100-120. I keep carbs low, but not in the

Edit - rest of my post was lost. Hate it when that happens.

JerseyCityGal
on 9/5/15 7:08 pm - NJ

I eat an average of 1,000 to 1,100 calories a day.  About 70/80g protein, and I keep the carbs under 50g.  One day a week, I'll let the carbs go up as high as 90.  No bread, refined sugar, etc.  I weight train 3 hours a week. Fruit and veggies are fine, just track everything. 

You can eat like a King/Queen.  Chike protein shake for breakfast,  Dannon greek yogurt snack, grilled swordfish,  grilled zucchini & fresh pineapple for lunch, grilled salmon & grilled yellow squash for dinner.

Starving yourself accomplishes nothing.  Neither does sitting around and living on string cheese. Eating the right things and working out will do it.  

Hkinzfnp
on 9/6/15 4:43 am

My program commits to following patients for 5 years after surgery.  Meaning that during that time I can call and meet with the nutritionist, psychologist, whoever I think I need help and guidance from.  Have you considered talking with someone?  Are there any support groups that you can go to?  You've done a great job of recognizing that this could turn into a problem, now get the help you need to stay healthy.  Good luck!!

SouthernmostStar
on 9/6/15 10:43 am
VSG on 01/25/12

Unfortunately, there aren't any local support groups, not even any OA meetings.  I would go in a heartbeat.  I'm going to call the hospital where I had the surgery.  It's about 2 1/2 hours from where I live but if they are willing to set up a consult with their nutritionist, I would take the sick day from work and go for sure.  Thanks for the reminder!

Mary

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

SouthernmostStar
on 9/6/15 10:41 am
VSG on 01/25/12

Thanks to everyone for responding.  You reminded me of some things I'd forgotten and also gave me new things to consider.

I think that I also got scared that I couldn't go back to the nutrition proportions of protein vs carbs, etc. that I consumed in the first two years.  Reading your responses gave me the excellent reminder that I did it all before.  I darned sure can do it again.

I've had some physical issues with one knee and the opposite heel but I recently discovered rowing classes that I love.  Great cardio workout that also works several muscle groups but it does not hit my knee and heel with hard impact.  I absolutely love that the weight loss I've achieved so far makes it possible for me to do this activity - along with simply walking, riding my bike and exercise in my pool.  What a gift after years of sedentary sluggishness.

Thanks again!

Mary

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cuparian
on 9/6/15 6:25 pm
VSG on 05/13/15

This is a great site, I am not on facebokk tweeter peentrest :-) or any other site but this one is a mine of useful information and some really friendly people.

I know you will do well keep at it! no journey is easy some are very hard this one is so.

HW 380 SW 352.5

justpete
on 9/7/15 5:36 am
VSG on 04/02/13

be sure you are doing the usual.  1) tracking and weighing everything 2) water 3) exercise

then look at your diet, I would recommend removing processed foods of all kind and focus more on whole fresh foods.  they will have more nutrients for lesser calories than the processed/packaged/frozen prepared/convenience foods.   plus more volume to help with hunger and fullness.  The idea is to give your body more of the nutrients it needs so it runs better and can burn that fat properly.

perfect time of year for this with all the fresh produce!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

SouthernmostStar
on 9/7/15 11:03 am
VSG on 01/25/12

Thanks so much for responding.  I've pretty much cut out all the processed cr*p and focus on fresh food.  I'd rather make it myself.  I've learned a lot about how to make something flavorful without packing in a lot of extra calories  or carbs.  You're so right about that fresh produce.  I live in Florida, so I can pretty much get fresh veggies all year long.  

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Most Active
Recent Topics