Your thoughts on watermelon?

Spanky123
on 9/5/15 1:17 pm

All summer I have been eating watermelon. I have 1-2 cups a day, it has become my favorite snack. I have always heard that it's good for weightloss, but is it good for VSG ?

psychoticparrot
on 9/5/15 1:32 pm

I've been eating watermelon too! And cantaloupe, peaches, pears, corn on the cob, zucchini, and eggplant, too! 

Many sleevers are die-hard protein fans, but I believe including some fresh vegs and fruit in the diet is extremely healthy for everyone, sleevers included.

You already know the answer to your question -- have you been losing weight this summer while eating watermelon daily?

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Shel25
on 9/5/15 3:23 pm

I don't know if it is good for VSG....I don't have that kind of wisdom.

But, you also asked for "thoughts." My thought is tha****ermelon is delicious.  But, it doesn't promote satiety and (worse of all) it is a volume-trigger food for ME (ymmv) so I am generally not willing to eat it at this time.  

Best wishes in your journey.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/15 9:36 am, edited 9/5/15 10:16 am

I enjoy watermelon very much myself.

Now, I'm going to play Devil's advocate:

What I find fascinating is that the University of Sydney's Human Nutrition Unit, School of Molecular  Bioscience, has found Watermelon to have a higher Glycemic Index than sucrose (table sugar). This means that the sugar in watermelon is absorbed faster and more easily than pure table sugar causing a correlating rise in glucose blood levels and consequently insulin production. So, eaten in moderation watermelon won't hurt you, but it does have the potential to slow your weight loss if eaten in larger quantities. Also, due to its high GI (80 on a scale of 1-100), watermelon has the potential to promote fat storage, not loss. 

Now take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. BUT think if 1-2 cups a day is really benefiting your weight loss efforts. 2 cups is not quite 100 calories, 23 grams non essential carbohydrates. and a whopping 19 grams of sugar.  2 cups of watermelon has basically the same nutritional values as 2 TBS of white table sugar. Watermelon does have about a gram of fiber and almost 2 grams of protein, but other than that, it's pretty much like eating sugar.

Edited to add: All that, and I do eat it too on occasion!

spuddzy
on 9/6/15 7:44 am - NY

Thanks for that info...i'm almost 10 mos. out and stopped losing about a little over a month...I started buying watermelon among other junk food products that I hadn't touched nor allowed in my house..I started to consume larger quantities of watermelon per day..I had no idea about the things u posted..I thought this is a gre3at refreshing summer fruit..I gained 2 pounds and did nothing about it thinking my body would eliminate it. but as u know, it led me to start eating pure junk a little at a time. I'm up 3 to 4 pounds. This week I bagged all food I know i should not eat and threw it out. I went to GNC and got my protein powder and I'm putting myself back on track..I never want to regain back that weight..its too hard to lose...I also note that I need this group of peoples input to remind me of what can happan..thank you for your help....

spuddzy

SouthernmostStar
on 9/6/15 10:47 am
VSG on 01/25/12

I think you found the answer to your own question.  If watermelon was the only sugary snack, and you ate it occasionally, you'd probably be okay.  If you're eating it along with other junk food products,then you could be setting yourself up to fail.  Believe me, I know what it's like because I've fallen into the same old habits too from time to time.

Good for you for recognizing this, throwing out the junk and getting back to basics.  I needed this reminder too.  Thank you!

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

mmsmom
on 9/5/15 5:05 pm - Woburn, MA

I ate it all through loss stage and this summer with no adverse affects

VSG on 04/28/2014

diane S.
on 9/6/15 4:43 pm

well its probably not too bad provided it is not keeping you from getting protein.   i found that if i ate a little low calorie friuit it sometimes filled me up too much.   grapes were my go to fruit while in weight loss phase. my doctor didn't like it - thought it was too much sugar - but low cal and kept me from eating far worse stuff.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

JerseyCityGal
on 9/7/15 9:31 am, edited 9/7/15 9:32 am - NJ

I eat it a couple of times a week and it doesn't cause a problem.  

I suppose if you ate half a watermelon every day, you'd have a problem.

You have to use plain old common sense.  An average slice has 85 calories, 17 g sugar and 21 g carbs.  Work your watermelon into days when your other carbs aren't high; i.e. don't have it on the same day you are having chickpeas and acorn squash.

Fruits and veggies aren't the enemy :)

Valerie G.
on 9/10/15 9:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

While it "sucks less" than say..a cookie - keep in mind that fruit all has sugar = carbs = you could have lost more than you have if you hadn't eaten it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics