I'm struggling........

k__
on 9/2/15 8:39 am, edited 9/2/15 8:40 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

Eating around bedtime/before bed - This took me sooo very many years to figure out, but recently I finally think I have an answer:

After the kids have gone to bed, I typically need some "me" time alone. It's also when all the events of the day and what needs to get done for the future start tumbling around in my mind. And usually some mental tension comes into play, despite the relief the down time gives me.

I have used food as a sedative for years. I think I developed a habit of eating before bed as a "sleeping pill". When I got home from surgery, I had that craving again and it was just building and building and driving me nuts. I took a Xanax. The craving went away. I went to sleep. A couple days followed where I did the same thing. Now, believe me, I will not be putting myself in a position of developing a cross-addiction. My psychiatrist, when I explained the situation to him, recommended I follow up on a referral he gave me to a practitioner of Dialectic Behavior Therapy. I'll explore that as a next step. I'm pleased to have at least reached an understanding of the problem behavior for myself.

Good luck to you. I hope this might be of some help!

happyteacher
on 9/4/15 6:02 am

I am a night grazer to the nth degree also. A highly effective strategy for me is to do my exercise at night during the high graze period. If the workout is vigorous, I never want to eat afterward- just drink water. Perhaps try to put some type of an activity during your graze period that distracts you from eating. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics