Tips for early pre-ops?

ElizaM
on 9/1/15 11:17 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Make sure you read all the fine print from your insurance company. I didn't realize until too late that my insurance company required A) my nutritional counseling appointments had to be with the same provider, and B) not only did I need six months, but they had to be sequential. I had missed a month of medical weight management, and even though I wound up doing more than 6 months of appointments, I almost had my surgery cancelled.

Practice eating like a post op: protein first, 3 meals a day (or 3 meals and two snacks, whatever your program recommends). Practice separating eating and drinking. Get into an exercise routine now, even just walking or water aerobics, whatever you can do. Line up a therapist, if you think you will benefit from one.  

While not everyone is able to, and it doesn't necessarily mean you won't be successful as a post-op, I do think that attempting to lose weight pre-op will help you. The more weight you can lose, the lower the risk of surgery and the easier your recovery. I lost about 60lbs in my year before my surgery and I probably could have lost more if I set my mind to it, but it meant I didn't have to get a filter because I got my BMI out of the 60s. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

tatirod
on 9/1/15 7:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

thanks, these are great tips!

what is a filter, though? I must say that I haven't heard of that before (in relation to WLS)

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

ElizaM
on 9/2/15 5:14 am
VSG on 07/24/14

It's a tiny medical device that is inserted into one of the veins in your thighs. It's to prevent blood clots. The higher your BMI at surgery, the higher your risk of blood clots. My surgeon only has patients get a filter if their BMI is over 60.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Recent Topics