New to all this

DHeidi
on 8/26/15 1:51 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum, new to the sleeve and new to posting like this in general......

I had my sleeve on August 17th - so I am now 9 days post surgery. The only "problem" I've had so far was the pain in my shoulders.

I decided to investigate the sleeve after my primary care physician recommended it as a possible cure for my type 2 diabetes. (I have to make an effort to remind myself of the "possible" cure part). 

I put on my weight in my mid 20's (30 pounds in 3 months) and was told "my metabolism changed" - I continued to climb in weight. After many, many years and a lot of effort, I finally found a personal trainer who helped me to lose 40 pounds. However, losing the weight didn't get me off the pills. So I took the plunge so to speak.

Now - I am a week and a half post surgery and I find I have to keep reminding myself to give my body time. While my primary care physician did take me off of 3 of my Diabetes medications, I find that my blood sugars are still higher (158 has been the lowest - 180 or so the highest) than they should be. Although they are considerably lower than they were previously (even on the pills).

To me the weight loss was just a "nice side benefit" because I plan to get back into the gym. However, while I am down - I guess I expected it to be more.

Am I on the right track just reminding myself to give my body time? I shouldn't start getting discouraged yet that it didn't work - right?

murphyjo
on 8/26/15 7:27 pm

Your body is still recovering from a serious surgery. Be patient, let your body heal. Follow your doctors orders and things should fall into place. I had my sleeve on the 20th, so I am right behind you.  Hang in there! 

Most Active
Recent Topics