Disney Food & Wine 3 weeks after surgery

Jessica T.
on 8/26/15 10:29 pm

I am so relieved to see your post describing what I am going through! I had an unavoidable, challenging day today that was both physically and emotionally exhausting. Although stressful, not catastrophic and yet I completely lost it, bursting into tears crying for so many hours that I still have a headache. The blues were overwhelming long past what it should have been, considering the cir****tances of this particular "crisis" but this was powerful and it’s at least the 2nd time I have come unhinged since being sleeved 8/11. While I am not glad to see you or anyone experience that, it's affirming to see that I am not a basket case but that I am going through some kind of dopamine resistance as a result of the partial removal of the stomach??? Do you know what is causing this almost irrational depression, and is it temporary for most? I get that your likely not an MD, but really any insights here would be helpful.

Thanks.

Eggface
on 8/27/15 7:08 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Yes not an MD and I had RNY but really it's pretty normal (some suffer more than others) and it's not a function of the type of WLS (as far as I know) but more a result of obviously stress of a major surgery, anesthesia and drugs that remain in our system, hormonal fluctuations as fat cells release, routines all being thrown off... it all equals the blues for a bit... for me it lasted about 7 weeks... not as bad in the last few weeks but those first few... I was a wreck a few times a day and you know... I think it's hard for us to then complain about something to our loved ones... many of them saw how much we wanted this so the "buyer's remorse WTH did I do? moments" in those first weeks are hard to express... I remember sitting on my bed and crying staring at a few tablespoons of mashed carrots with protein powder mixed in (LOL I do not recommend this dish) and thinking well... it's done... you wanted this. 

So the silver lining... it doesn't last and within a month or 2 you WILL say just like most of us post WLS (any kind) that we'd do it all over in a nano second even those bad days. Breathe lots of fresh air, walk, drink your water it'll clear the crud out of your system and hold on... it's get better and then AWESOME! 

Best to you!!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Jessica T.
on 8/27/15 10:18 am

Thank you, your words are very encouraging.

Jessica

Jessica T.
on 8/26/15 10:29 pm

I am so relieved to see your post describing what I am going through! I had an unavoidable, challenging day today that was both physically and emotionally exhausting. Although stressful, not catastrophic and yet I completely lost it, bursting into tears crying for so many hours that I still have a headache. The blues were overwhelming long past what it should have been, considering the cir****tances of this particular "crisis" but this was powerful and it’s at least the 2nd time I have come unhinged since being sleeved 8/11. While I am not glad to see you or anyone experience that, it's affirming to see that I am not a basket case but that I am going through some kind of dopamine resistance as a result of the partial removal of the stomach??? Do you know what is causing this almost irrational depression, and is it temporary for most? I get that your likely not an MD, but really any insights here would be helpful.

Thanks.

psychoticparrot
on 8/26/15 9:21 pm

Regarding the cheddar cheese soup -- I had a bowl of that when I was 4 weeks post-op. It seems like it should be a slider food. It isn't! And it sure didn't taste as good coming up as it did going down. Just saying' is all.

Don't know about the salmon and soft cheeses. After the cheddar soup incident, I went back to full liquids for a while. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics