Post-Op and Cholesterol - Question for Vets

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/15 10:15 am

chia seeds add a very nice "crunch" to yogurt.

I always look at HDL, Triglycerides, and LDL levels more than total cholesterol. BTW, my doc believes the whole add carbs and fiber to your diet total bunk for lowering cholesterol. Just sayin'...

My cholesterol goes back and forth but stays within a range. It takes time for the body to adjust and release the blood cholesterol just like it takes time to lose body fat. Slow and steady wins the race!

zann50
on 8/26/15 10:29 am
On August 26, 2015 at 7:17 AM Pacific Time, Bufflehead wrote:

Stay away from "complex carbs" or any kind of carbs or grains! I added in oatmeal to try to help my cholesterol numbers and not only did it not help my cholesterol, my cravings spiked out of control and I stopped losing weight. Now I am back on track, I do not eat any grains or carb-heavy foods (other than yogurt and fruit) and my cholesterol numbers are perfect and my doctor says I have one of the three lowest triglyceride numbers she has ever seen in her career.

This is what works for me: focus on lean white meat and fatty fish. I eat fatty fish (tuna, sardines, salmon) almost every day. I also eat eggs that are enriched with Omega 3's almost every day. I eat almonds or walnuts every day. I eat lots of green veggies and yogurt and small amounts of fruit. And I do vigorous exercise every day. And especially for a week-10 days before getting my cholesterol checked, I avoid processed meats (deli meats, jerky) and any cheese completely.

Grains are the devil IMO. The only thing I have done in the past with grains that was helpful and did not send me into a an endless cycle of carb binging was adding a tablespoon of oat bran to my yogurt.

Great post!  And in the age of agriculture deceit...GMOs I believe grains are a health issue for all, not just WLS folks.

Zann

VGS- 2015

diane S.
on 8/26/15 12:16 pm

Hi, i don't think carbs will change it.  i have had high total cholesterol for years. used to take statins but had to quit due to side effects.  the ldl use to be way high.  after wls,  now my total is still high but the hdl (good) is actually higher than the ldl  so the ratio is in a healthy range.   i attribute it to healthy eating plus fish oil caps.    anyway, my internist is good with it and so am i.   

If you are still trying to lose weight, i would really watch the carbs.  gl   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Hislady
on 8/26/15 6:55 pm - Vancouver, WA

I'm pretty sure the scientific folks have decided that heredity plays a much bigger role in cholesterol levels than food does. I stick with lean meats lots of chicken, pork and seafood. Once in awhile some lean ground beef but more often I use ground chicken I like it better than turkey burger. I'm super sensitive to carbs, it takes very little to send me off on a binge.

J Connel
on 8/27/15 2:50 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Yes - I agree too on the heredity! Thank you

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

happyteacher
on 8/26/15 7:17 pm

My cholesterol went up- a lot post op. Still up nearly 3 years out. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

J Connel
on 8/27/15 2:51 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Ugh - that's probably frustrating but hopefully within a non-meds range!

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics