Ice Cream is the number one reason for regain...

happyteacher
on 8/25/15 10:10 am

So I have headed back to the bariatric center due to needing labs done and pretty much no longer being able to eat solid food. In this converstation she asked what I felt caused my regain (about 5 over at the moment) and I said hands down ice cream. She responded by saying that from what she sees with the patients and regain, ice cream is the number one reason for regain. Too easy to get a lot down for us. Anyway, it also makes sense in my realm here as I started eating a lot more when I was having some issues with my stomach. Docs said today it is likely an ulcer, but won't be confirmed until Friday when I get scoped. Totally makes sense... more acid that in my case always mimics hunger, ice cream to put out the fire, repeat... regain. Go figure. Anyway, just sharing in case anyone else out there may be going through the same thing. I would never have guessed ulcer since I don't have heartburn or anything. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Stacy_WLS
on 8/25/15 3:02 pm

Yes.  This is a major trigger for me.   Ugh!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/15 3:25 pm

Um, yeah..... Nuf said....

Laura in Texas
on 8/25/15 4:42 pm

Sometimes acid reflux symptoms are hard to read. If you do have it, please get it under control. Years of undetected acid reflux led to my dad's esophageal cancer and his eventual death.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

happyteacher
on 8/25/15 11:42 pm, edited 8/25/15 11:42 pm

I am aware of the cancer connection on that. I am so sorry about your father. My concern over exactly that issue had a lot to do with my seeking WLS to begin with, as my reflux was completely out of control along with me weight.

The weird thing is that I don't feel the acid at all like I did preop, and literally just until the last week or so even could point to having too much acid going on/reflux. I am now taking Prilosec at 40 mg twice daily and antibiotics along with reverting to a full liquid diet for two weeks, so I am on it. I also agree with you about the ice cream. For sure that is my number 1 trigger food far and away, but clearly it is not for me. Usually when something happens like this where I am clearly not feel well due to eating (fill in the blank) I am pretty good at eliminating it without ruminating over not eating it anymore. The sole exception is coffee. I am going to try to clear this up without giving up the coffee, but shudder to think that if in a few weeks if it is not better that will have to go. I would rather give up food entirely then my coffee!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 8/25/15 8:42 pm

The sad fact is that ice cream doesn't really reduce stomach acid. In fact, its high-fat and sugar content probably aggravates the condition. Ice cream is unfortunately bad for you (and the rest of us) in so many ways. Put it on your not-gonna-eat-that-crap-anymore list. Remember, feeling healthy is better than any food tastes.

If your test reveals an ulcer, I hope the docs and healthy food will fix you right up. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics