Surgery date was moved up! Need advice plz

emery1217
on 8/28/15 10:19 pm

So my surgery date was moved up from the 8th to the first which is Tuesday. Tuesday really needs to hurry up and come lol...Monday the surgery unit will call to tell me when to come in so I'm patiently but anxiously waiting. I just wanted to know what other people's experiences was like after waking up from the surgery just so I can know what to expect in a way so I won't be surprised about anything 

VSG Date: 9/1/15      

HW: 223lbs   Consultation Weight: 223lbs    CW: 209lbs    SW: ???     GW: 145lbs

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/15 12:11 am

Post op reaction is so terribly individual!

My experience was extremely positive. I remember being taken to my room, but still being very loopy. Once in my room, I slept again for a while. When I woke up, I felt great. I was so happy to have my sleeve, I couldn't help but be happy. I had no pain really. Maybe some mild discomfort, but only in my abdominal muscles. I never felt any internal pain - ever.

I wanted to walk around when I woke up, but the nurse insisted that I wait a couple of hours. I did. When I did get out of bed I found I was more doped up than I realized. My balance took a moment to find itself, but once I was steady that was it. I was off to the races! I walked the ward 4 times that night.

My surgeon is a firm believer in pain management, so I did have a dilaudid pump that kept any pain at bay and certainly helped me sleep. I'm sure that helped a lot.

I was bored out of my mind the next day and couldn't wait to go home. The only excitement was going for barium swallow to get a picture of my new sleeve (my doc does a thorough leak check while his patients are still on the table before closing up) for future reference. Was very cool seeing my new stomach - it looked like a continuation of my esophagus and went right to my small intestine. If the x-ray tech hadn't shown me my stomach location, I would not have been able to tell where it started or stopped.

Went home that evening after proving I could keep liquid down without vomiting.

Gained 12 pounds due to IV fluids, too, btw. Don't be surprised to see a huge weight gain immediately post op.

Anyhow, a great experience. Haven't ever looked back and no regrets.

Best of luck to you! Hope your post surgery goes as well as mine!

emery1217
on 8/29/15 8:08 am

Secretly I'm anxious to see the gain from the fluid just to see how cool my body is lol... I think I will be ok but I know for sure I will be cranky and throw up like I always do after waking up from sedation or anesthesia. It happened when I was 10 and had my tonsils removed and 3 months ago when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. I have to make sure I tell them that's what happens when I wake up. I'm counting down the hours I can't wait to be on the losers bench!

VSG Date: 9/1/15      

HW: 223lbs   Consultation Weight: 223lbs    CW: 209lbs    SW: ???     GW: 145lbs

Gwen M.
on 8/29/15 8:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here's a link to the blog post I made about Surgery Day -- https://www.myvsg.net/2-uncategorised/95-t-0-and-1-surgery-d ay-and-hospital-stay

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 5:37 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

I woke up in my room, oxygen mask on, was little loopy for the meds, and immediate tried to get up. My hubby was telling me not to take the mask off, but the first thing I thought of was everyone saying to walk as soon as you can after surgery, and apparently I'm a nut because that is all I wanted to do was walk. And pee from all the fluids, and even though I was a little unstable on my feet because of the meds, I grabbed my fluids and head with hubby to the bathroom. 

When i got home 2 days later, I was down another 4 lbs, so I think all the walking and getting unhooked from the fluids sooner kept me from the all the fluid gain, but everyone is different. 

The day after surgery was my buyers remorse day, but you still have to walk, walk, walk. But the gas pains and getting less meds makes you more uncomfortable. 

And aside from 1 bad day a week later ( my own doing from feeling so good, I cleaned the house, did laundry, grocery shopping, lifting more than I should....totally overdid it and woah did I regret that). Everything has been a breeze. 

But again everyone's experience is going to be different. With different doctors, different hospitals, nurses, and aftercare. Good luck! Hope everything goes smoothly. You will Love your sleeve!!!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics