on 8/27/15 3:05 am

Thank you!

Ahmadk
on 8/27/15 3:09 am

I am facing the same problem

Bufflehead
on 8/27/15 5:24 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I second the recommendation for the Eat Slower app, it helped me a lot.

wyo_sarah
on 8/27/15 8:10 am

I just look at the clock and try to take a bite every 3 minutes. My dad uses a little sand timer. I also try to do things while I'm eating...get the kids drinks, feed the dogs, read to my kids, that kind of stuff. However, that goes against what my surgeon said. He said to feel satisfied with your meal that you should really focus on what you are eating and do nothing else. I can't do that.

Mrskilmister
on 8/27/15 9:21 am
VSG on 07/31/15 with

Thanks for asking this.  I am going through the same and didn't know how to help myself

Pamela M.
on 8/27/15 9:36 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I have tried playing Solitaire with a real deck of cards and that slows me down significantly.  It's a struggle no matter how you look at it.  It's important though so find out what works for you and try to stick with it.  I like the putting your fork down between bites and, of course, chewing, chewing, chewing.  Best of luck to you.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Tracy D.
on 8/27/15 12:18 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have one of those old-fashioned egg times - you know the one that has sand in it and you simply turn it over?  Very effective and a great visual tool.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

chaplainJess
on 8/28/15 12:10 pm

I use chopsticks to eat, I am not very coordinated so it takes me awhile!

poolside
on 8/29/15 2:26 pm

I second the chopsticks thing. I had a huge problem with eating too fast pre-op, worked a bunch of strategies with my nutritionist while on the 3 month supervised diet, and changing my utensils really did help. It's a visual and mental break with habit, as you basically have to relearn to eat using a different kind of utensil (or, if you're already proficient with chopsticks, you get used to using them more often and for different foods).

Donna L.
on 9/1/15 8:25 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

i like to use an app called 20 Minutes.  You start off by eating for only four minutes then pausing for two.  I found this really helpful for me.  I also bought very small forks and spoons for appetizers which work very well.  They were $9 each of about 12 and they've slowed my eating dramatically.  I still eat somewhat fast and it's been hard for me, too.  

In my case, I don't know that the stomach will stretch since I'm still limiting portions (I'm only about 10 weeks out) but I'm more worried about damaging the staple line and/or reinforcing a bad habit.  I can actually eat 1 cup a meal over the course of an hour, but I limit myself to 4 ounces since I don't have restriction yet.  The teeny forks and spoons help with that tremendously.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics