Very Irritable

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/15 7:26 am

I agree... to an extent.  There is a certain way in which it could be approached.  Does it need to be truthful and honest, absolutely!  I find that after surgery you become pretty vulnerable.  There are a lot of emotions and the body is still adjusting.  Using caps and explanation points and overall just being rude and snarky to people is not acceptable by any means.  There are ways to get points across without hurting feelings or being rude.  This is a life lesson that goes far beyond just Social Media and computer screens.  Show compassion and empathy when typing please.

Karen M.
on 8/26/15 10:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

!!! I'M NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND YOUR POSITION !!!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/15 10:35 am

JUDGING BY YOUR YELLING IN ALL CAPS I THINK YOU TOTALLY UNDERSTAND MY POSITION!!!  Don't worry I can read through online sarcasm and humor :)  the problem is not everyone does.   In all seriousness though I think what this site lacks in terms of support is empathy and understanding for newbies.  I think people post here because a. they truly need help and need educated about a specific topic, be it diet or surgery related b. because they are struggling and need reassurance that they are doing something right, or maybe even wrong or c. they are looking to bond and make make connections that can help support them through the journey.  Just know that those that are knowingly making bad choices after surgery are not doing so to deliberately sabotage themselves.  They just don't have the support post op to correct the bad behaviors that got them into their situation in the first place.  As we all know, surgery does not fix the head stuff or the addiction.  Please don't banter, bash, criticize or pick on people who are having a hard time.  Support them and tell them you think they are making a bad choice and but do so kindly.  As an obese person I have been picked on all my life and my self esteem and feelings can be easily hurt.  Tough love doesn't work for me and I'm sure it doesn't for others also.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/26/15 10:41 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Tough love works for me.  I value the brutal honesty I find on OH. It's what helps to keep me accountable for my actions.

Just because it isn't your preference doesn't mean that people should change their methods to accommodate you. If you don't find anything useful in someone's comments, move along to the next.

A one size fits all approach is unrealistic.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/15 10:43 am

Wow so I guess just asking that people be considerate and empathetic when responding to someone's questions or posts asking for advice is too much to ask. 

Gwen M.
on 8/26/15 11:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Is there a special font for that? 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 8/26/15 11:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

sarcasm

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ok2BaLoser
on 8/26/15 2:54 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

I guess I owe it to you for opening my eyes that its okay to be corrected! You, sir informed me that I had the wrong information about a fatty liver.  It was an eye opener and reminder that I don't know everything.  I'm not butthurt over it.  I researched it and learned the real definition.  SO IN ALL CAPS, THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME lol!

rocky513
on 8/26/15 3:19 pm - WI

YOU GET IT!!!!!  

If typing in CAPS and putting a few exclamation points at the end of a sentence is enough to drive someone off the deep end, or makes them feel "bullied", then maybe an on-line support group is not a good fit!!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/26/15 10:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On August 26, 2015 at 7:26 AM Pacific Time, HappyHealthyHeather wrote:

I agree... to an extent.  There is a certain way in which it could be approached.  Does it need to be truthful and honest, absolutely!  I find that after surgery you become pretty vulnerable.  There are a lot of emotions and the body is still adjusting.  Using caps and explanation points and overall just being rude and snarky to people is not acceptable by any means.  There are ways to get points across without hurting feelings or being rude.  This is a life lesson that goes far beyond just Social Media and computer screens.  Show compassion and empathy when typing please.

And I thought she was the most annoying Nanny...

nanny

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics