Looking Into Revision Options

Sondra H.
on 8/24/15 10:48 am - CA

Hi OH peeps!

I am a little over 4 years post-op VSG and really struggling with about 40 pounds of regain over the past 16 months or so. I went back to my surgeon, *****ferred me to weight management. The Nurse Practitioner referred me to the dietitian, sent me for a Resting Metabolic Rate test, and put me on Belviq as an appetite suppressant. Belviq doesn't work well for me, because I work about 90 hours a week and can't sleep on a normal schedule. The same is true with its' competitors. My surgeon said we could explore a revision or re-sizing, which I am now considering seeing as I'm not doing so well on my own. I was disappointed that they didn't think counseling was "necessary," and sought out a therapist on my own to help me with some stress and other life issues, in hopes it will alleviate some of my eating patterns and sleep issues, and therefore help me kick these lbs back off! Anyone have any experience with a revision to another specific procedure, or just re-sizing their VSG pouch?

Thanks in advance!

Sondra

VSG 6/2011

SW 320 LW 198 CW 255

SeeSondraSlim.com

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/24/15 11:13 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well I'm still a newbie & not as far out as you but are you sure that you need a resizing? I'm guessing that your sleeve is fully matured by now & usually at that point you can eat more than you could after surgery but it should be way, way less than you were pre op.

The only thing I can advise is going back to a protein forward diet. Track, log & measure everything, try under eating your sleeve rather than eating till you feel full. As far as the appetite r u on a ppi? Acid mimics hunger.

Make sure everything is functioning properly first b4 considering a revision. R your labs good?, getting all your water? Kudos to you for seeking therapy, maybe it's head hunger & not true hunger.

I've heard that maintenance is really challenging & you may inadvertently put yourself in it if you've stopped losing at 1 point. Did bad habits creep back in? That'll pack on pounds too.

I guess I'm trying to say is look at everything b4 you put yourself back under the knife. I heard that people who have revisions lose more slowly than those who've only had the 1 surgery. Play with the numbers & cut back. You've lost it b4, I'm sure you can lose it again.

Good Luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 8/24/15 6:24 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm surprised that you didn't have an endoscopy!  That should be one of the first diagnostic tools to see what's going on.  I don't understand why a surgeon would suggest revision without checking to see if your sleeve is functional first.  Ugh :/  

I'm glad you've sought out a therapist.  It seems like that'll help you figure out what's going on and how to create better habits.  I'd suggest that you track everything you eat if you're not already - that will help you to see what you're eating and what you need to change to get back on track.  

You can do it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 8/26/15 9:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It sounds like you need a new job more than anything else.  You need to take time to work on yourself, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics