Anyone else starving s/p VSG?

Ashsaw
on 8/21/15 4:07 pm - Waltham, MA

I've been kind of going through this process alone due to my surgery center not being the greatest and I just needed to ask, is anyone else still hungry after surgery? Or has anyone else hit a plateau? I had my surgery in November, I've lost 78lbs so far (which is great, but disappointing at the same time), but I've been hungry since day 2, which has been absolutely terrible. I can only eat small meals which is great! But then I'm hungry again in like 2 hours. I try to just drink water, exercise, everything but then I go into hangry mode and have to eat something again.

I haven't lost anyone weight in 3 months and its definitely frustrating. Anyone have any tips for getting through their plateau?

frisco
on 8/21/15 4:17 pm

Congrats on 78lbs. !!!!

Your basically in maintenance.....

To resume WL you would need to drop your daily calories by 4-500.

As for hunger, the only real tip is to eat dense protein centric meals.

Hope this helps.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Gwen M.
on 8/21/15 5:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

How much liquid are you drinking?  Are you taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium?  A lot of the time hunger is due to not getting enough liquid or having too much stomach acid.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

grayC
on 8/21/15 12:59 pm, edited 8/21/15 1:02 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Sometimes hon, 

hunger is bordom, but a lot of times its old habits creeping back in

theres a reason that addicts relapse....there really isn't much difference except our

drug of choice is food and it is in ready supply, plentiful and easily accessible....

best advice I can give you right now is...avoid LIKE THE PLAGUE any and all CARBS!!!

only eat every 4 hrs..inbetween tha****er or calorie free beverages ONLY..

time to white knuckle it and get yourself back into a regimented routine...

good luck...keep us posted!!

EDITED to add: a lot of times when I'm really really having a bad day and white knuckling it

i distract myself like walk the mall or hop on the treadmill and 10 min will distract me enough and get me over the hump... but also even if it's 9 at nite...I'll go to bed..just to stop an impulsive munch fest. 

Its almost like I'm saying I give up, time to end this ****ty day,

but you evil food thoughts are NOT going to win today LOL!!

more2adore
on 8/21/15 8:24 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

I want to second what Gwen said. As early out as Day 2, "hunger" is typically either dehydration or acid reflux PRETENDING to be hunger. The fact you've been dealing with this sine Day 2 post-op makes me think your issue is reflux. Either try a PPI if you aren't on one, up the dose, or switch and see if that helps. 

VSG 3/28/2015 | HW 600+ | SW 488.2 | CW 398.4

NikkiL2015
on 8/21/15 11:07 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I am 7 weeks out, and have also been experiencing the hunger.  However, as soon as I give in and try to even eat one bite, I'm miserable because I'm stuffed.  So I think I'm going to look into talking to the Dr. about my PPI and maybe upping the dose, because the last thing we need to do is increase our food intake for no reason at all.  Sometimes it's even hard for me to swallow water but I think I'm hungry... very frustrating!  I wish you all the luck, hopefully you will be able to kick start your weight loss again soon!!!

Sandra F.
on 8/25/15 6:52 am

I am with you on this one.  I too get hungry after about 2 hours but I try not to graze and find high protein snacks to snack on if I have to, like reduced fat cheese. 

poolside
on 8/26/15 4:30 pm

I'm nearly 4 weeks out and hungry almost all the time. I'm 99% sure it's acid reflux. I'm drinking above my water goal and on a PPI and have been since before surgery but a couple of things have tipped me off (and may help you determine if it's acid as well):

1. Does your hunger go away if you chew a Gaviscon? 

2. Is it better after ice water or cold, thick, liquid like a protein shake?

if so, it's highly likely it's acid and not real hunger. 

Most Active
Recent Topics