Feeling a mess, depression?

Journey2be
on 8/20/15 8:02 pm

So the last 6 wks or so I've been feeling like I'm constantly PMS-ing. (Quickly irritated, very impatient, easily angered, emotional, very negative and just kinda want to be left alone). This is so not like me. I'm very happy, kind, uplifting, encouraging and a very positive person usually. I hate feeling this way. I've made an appt with my primary dr for next week. Thinking maybe I need an antidepressant for a little while or labs drawn? My cycles are a little lengthy since surgery maybe I have a hormonal imbalance? Maybe my labs are off? Could someone recommend what supplements they take daily? I've been doing a flintstones chewable complete with iron (recommended by surgeon and nutritionist postop) and celebrate chewable calciums. I can't handle big pills but wondering if I'm not getting what I need. Any advice? Is this part of the package?

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

rocky513
on 8/20/15 8:30 pm - WI

Flintsones are NOT complete even if is says so on the label. they do not contain LOTS of vitamins and minerals that adults require. I don't take chewable vitamins and I never have so I can't help you there.  

The overactive hormones are normal.  It's called hormone dumping.  Your fat cells store estrogen.  When you lose weight, rapidly, the estrogen gets flushed into your blood stream, creating all kinds of havoc.  It levels off as your weight loss slows.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

cappy11448
on 8/21/15 2:36 am

Hi,

I also had a lot of issues with emotions for a while after surgery.  I think it is the hormones being released as the fat is being burned, as a previous poster said.  I don't think it has anything to do with the vitamins.  I suspect your program will monitor your blood work and let you know if you need to change your regimen, so I'd continue as your program suggests. 

If you want to try a different multi, there are lots of chewable ones out there.  I took the Bariatric Fusion at first, but it is a bit pricey.  You can probably find cheaper options.

Hang in there.  It will get better.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

zann50
on 8/21/15 4:36 am

Pro care makes a one a day bariatric chewable.  Go online to find it.  The cost is less than $20/mo

Zann

VGS- 2015

Journey2be
on 8/21/15 6:56 am

I never heard of this hormone dumping. Do you guys think an antidepressant is helpful during this time. Because frankly it's been going on for awhile and my poor family...... I don't want to stall my weight loss either though or get hooked on something. I've been free of all meds, caffeine and sugar for a long time and don't want to introduce stuff to my body that's going to cause a problem. I'm all for taking something short term though to help me through this time if that's what is going to make me feel better. 

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

Mary B.
on 8/21/15 7:09 am - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

Don't worry about getting hooked on an antidepressant.  Modern meds aren't addicting.  If your PCP recommends one, go with it.  I hope you feel better soon.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

ChubbyHubby82
on 8/21/15 11:46 am
VSG on 07/06/15

I am 6 weeks out too. I am very irritable to the point of rage or even a hot mess of tears.

I have been told that it is part of the package.

It is okay to have emotions and sometimes to have a good cry can be a good thing...or the rage to be destructive...

I had a cement deer in the front yard that is no more that I have been meaning to get rid of and that was one heck of a work out. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/21/15 12:13 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I stopped taking my anti depressant med the day I had surgery.  I thought I was doing fine, until about the one year post op.  I saw my PCP and she put me back on Wellbutrin.  It seems to help.  Because of my surgery, I take one 75 mg pill in the morning and one in the evening.

As Rocky said, Flintstones vitamins do not contain all the vitamins/minerals that you need as a post op.  I know your doctor/nut said they're okay, but they're wrong.  Since you're less than a year out, I would suggest you take a different type of vitamin before you see problems in your labs.  Your numbers generally won't tank so early after surgery, but you want to be proactive before they tank.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

psychoticparrot
on 8/21/15 2:29 pm

Give yourself a break. You had major surgery. Your digestive system has been permanently altered. You are still healing physically and emotionally. Seeing your PCP is a good idea, if just to make sure all this is temporary.

Here's an experience that you might appreciate (if not yet experiencing it yourself). I'm in my mid 60s and went through a very difficult menopause in my mid 50s. As soon as my weight los**** the level I was at during menopause, I started (and am still having) hot flashes and all the other fun I had during menopause. I get to experience menopause twice. Yippee for me. 

Point is, the surgery and the huge weight loss that follow it will affect you in different ways that don't always tickle. See your doctor to make sure all is well otherwise.

psychoticparrot (did someone turn up the heat in here?)

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Gwen M.
on 8/21/15 3:33 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If anything, seeing a therapist would probably be most useful.  Antidepressants take time to start working and, by then, the worst of the mood swings will probably have passed - they're also not super great for short term non-chemical depression.  Talking to a therapist, however, can be.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics