To All Sleeve Vets: How Much Can You Eat Now?

poplargreys
on 8/21/15 9:22 am, edited 8/21/15 9:30 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I'm nowhere near vet status yet, but there are days where one ounce of chicken makes me feel sick, and other days where four ounces goes down without even a hiccup. Even on my rare 'bottomless pit' days there is absolutely no way I could consume as much in a single sitting as I did before surgery. I expect things to change as my sleeve continues to mature, which is why I weigh/measure all my meals whenever possible to make sure I'm keeping portions appropriately sized.

Mlkpas
on 8/21/15 12:17 pm, edited 8/21/15 12:20 pm - Pasadena, CA

I'm 5.5 years out. I don't think I could eat a whole Chipotle burrito but I can definitely eat a 6" Subway sandwich and some chips (although I'd feel sick-full afterwards). Sometimes I feel like I can eat like a normal person, but when I look around at what other people can eat I realize that I still have a good amount of restriction. I'm still holding close to my goal weight (I've had about 5 pounds creep on in the past few months due to meeting a man and eating out and drinking with him -- trying to cut back and lose the extra pounds!).

I've always said that the surgery levels the playing field and gives me a fighting chance -- it's still up to me to make good choices. Edited to say I can eat far, far less than I could pre-surgery.

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

Lee ~
on 8/23/15 7:23 pm - CA

Hi MM, 

l'm  sorry you're feeling disappointed.  In Feb 2010' I was among the first sleeves done at my Kaiser facility so I ended up with a much bigger sleeve than others did.  At two years post op I went to Mexico with a friend who was getting sleeved. The doctor agreed to letting me see my sleeve.  He was horrified that on an empty stomach it was the size of a softball.  I already knew it was bigger and knew I'd have to eat carefully.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  I've been on a low carb diet since 1999 so this isn't so different.  I just get to do it as a size 8 instead of 22/24.

for brunch today I had a 5 ounce cheeseburger, no bun, a slice of romaine.  Dinner was 4 ounces carnitas and a bit of salad.  Most days I eat three times. 3-5 ounces protein and some veggies.  I have been known to still binge on popcorn or other sliders but those days are rare and they always cause an unwanted weight gain.  I don't eat at the restaurants you mentioned. I take breakfast and lunch to work daily.  I have real cream in my decaf. Eating out is at upscale places where I can get a good burger or steak. I don't eat low fat, I never did after surgery. I'd rather have less. I count carbs as well as calories and have to admit that I keep track of my food, weight and exercise daily.

what do you think will change if you revise?  For me, I'm still struggling with my food addictions.  I'm in my 60's.  I've had them for a long time.  They aren't going anywhere fast.  MM, it's much easier with home prepared foods. I've put on a few pounds since hooking up with a foodie guy.  Those meals out are killer.

wishing you really good luck!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

diane S.
on 8/24/15 12:35 pm

Hi all. I am 5+ years out.  I can eat about a cup of something mushy like greek yogurt but maybe only 2/3 cup of a meal consisting of dense protein and veggies.  But the truth is, I am not sure of the maximum amount I can eat because I never try to pu**** to find the limit.  I just plate up a proper meal.  sometimes I can't eat all the chicken or dense protein so I just don't   dogs get lucky.   i feel fortunate to still have good restriction after 5 years.  its part because of the way my sleeve was done and part because i have tried to not pu****    vive la sleeve!!!    diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics