To All Sleeve Vets: How Much Can You Eat Now?

frisco
on 8/21/15 2:14 am

Thanks for posting this, some people here seem to think all VSG's are all created equal and/or the differences are miniscule.

Our surgery dates are about the same.

The thing is I can eat a lot, if I want to.  Some examples:

1. A 6-inch Subway sandwich, apple and some chips

2. An entire Stouffers frozen vegetable lasagna (17 ounce box)

3. An entire Chipotle vegetarian burrito, or 3/4 of a meat burrito (takes work, but it can be done)

4. A Whopper and 1/2 bag of small fries

I could only eat about 1/4 to maybe 1/3 of what you have listed, although 1/3 sounds like it would hurt.

My surgeon makes a small tight sleeve. In his 15 years of doing the VSG as a stand alone WLS, has data shows higher WL and a smaller regain percentage.

The larger the initial sleeve is made, the more stretchy tissue is retained.

Eventual VSG capacity can range from 3-4oz to well over 16oz.

Some will say it's all about what you put in your mouth and I couldn't agree more !!!

But, who has it harder...... one who can eat more or one who can't eat as much.....

Looking into a DS rev with a possible sleeve tightening may be your best shot. 

Hope you get it worked out.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

cappy11448
on 8/21/15 3:11 am

I'm two years post op and my capacity is about 6 or 7 ounces of food.  I could never fit a 17 ounce meal into my tummy. 

I'm sorry the surgery didn't bring you the benefits you hoped.   Obesity is a disease, and not everyone has the same results from wls.  I'm the same person as the 385 pound woman who could not control her weight.  But now I can control it - then I couldn't.

One thing that really helped me was going low-carb.  Carbohydrates cause nasty food cravings for me, and I didn't have a chance if I ate carbs.  Perhaps it will help you avoid the grazing if you cut out the carbs.  Try white-knuckling it for a few days and see if the cravings subside.  I kept my carbs to about 25 grams a day while in weight loss.  But different people can tolerate more carbs, so you can experiment to see what works for you.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

White Dove
on 8/21/15 5:40 am - Warren, OH

I could eat everything that you can if I wanted to.  I am not sleeved but more than seven years out from RNY.  I have not counted on my restriction to control my eating after the first year.  

I control my weight by counting calories.  I weigh myself every morning and pay attention to even a pound of regain.

I eat six small meals a day.  Each meal is about 200 calories and I often get up at 3:00 in the morning for a small meal.

I do have restriction if I eat a lot of dense protein, but if I wait about five minutes I can eat more.

You can lose all of your excess weight and maintain the loss, but don't count on your sleeve to do the work for you.  You have to know the calories in everything you eat.  The best way to do that is to install My Fitness Pal on your computer and smartphone.  Track every bite.  Weigh every morning.  Set a date when you will reach your goal.

When I have to lose weight my goal is one pound a week.  To do that I cut 500 calories a day.  At the end of the week I am down one pound.  To lose 40 pounds would take me 40 weeks.  It is not a weight loss miracle but it works.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

emelar
on 8/21/15 9:14 am - TX

Yes, stomach sizes are different and you may very well have had a larger one to start with.

To answer your question, I can eat between 8-12oz of food at a time, depending on what it is.  If it's really dense protein, I'm in the 6-8oz range.  If it's not so dense, it's more.  Some food, mostly refined carbs, are sliders - they go right through.  So things like popcorn, chips, crackers, etc., I can eat a lot more of, although I've never tried to see just how much!

Honestly, I wouldn't even be trying the things you've given as examples.  I very rarely eat bread, no fries, no lasagna.  Your capacity may be a problem, but WHAT you're eating is more of a problem.  And I'm not sure a DS will help - you have to limit carbs with that procedure as well.

Valerie G.
on 8/21/15 10:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 10 years out from DS and I can eat as much of what you can...well, not the whole whopper, and I do a full meat chipotle bowl and skip much (except a few precious bites) of rice.  I'd guess that my total capacity is around 10 oz

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/21/15 12:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I can eat MUCH more pasta (by volume) than dense protein. Ditto for bread, french fries, or stuff with tortillas. I have no trouble with a mostly-full bowl of cheerios. Still less than before surgery, but FAR more than I expected.

Something that's entirely protein, however, I can eat FAR less. 1/2 c of shredded pork, or 3/4 can of tunafish with some mayo, or maybe an egg and a half. And that's why it's important to stick to protein!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

INgirl
on 8/21/15 1:58 pm

I'm 4+ yrs out, and if eating protein only- can comfortably eat 4-5.5oz at the very most.

Just recently this last week I was checking myself over the course of several days eating protein only at meals and that was the trend. IF I eat carbs with my protein (breads/pastas) or other things like cooked veggies- my capacity can increase a bit where I can fit perhaps 3/4-1C maximum in volume. Refined carbs eaten alone (any breads/pastas/junk) will increase this amount likely even more as they are clearing out of the stomach while still coming down from mouth~

Grazing, well, that's limitless. 

As far as compared to pre-surgery, I could eat a LOT of food by volume pre-op.. Post op, still can if I graze or eat every few hours. If I stick with nice fatty protein, I'm satisfied not doing that.. If I eat junk, I'm never satisfied.

Marquismark
on 8/21/15 2:07 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Thank you to everyone who's been answering the question I posed.  I appreciate your input.  Please keep 'em coming!

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

justpete
on 8/21/15 2:47 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

2+ years out, I eat a lot (according to my goals) and frequently.  The items you mention seem fine to me, certainly within my capacity.  about 300g of food is where most of my meals max out at, depending on what it is and how compressible it is.  meats 100g, veggies 150g, endless amounts of ice cream, chips, donuts, etc.

my advice to you is to not eat out.  and not eat pre-packaged prepared foods. ever (vacation and maybe 1 night out a week only).  Cook your own meals from scratch. portion them out and prepare ahead of time. You'll get way more nutrients per calorie and they will fill you up more.  and try adding an extra portion of fibrous vegetables to your meals, brocoli/cauliflower,cabbage,asperagus.

It's all about breaking those eating habits.  we all say that VSG is a tool, but for me, I take it one step further ... it's a TRAINING tool.  People do best if they take full advantage of those early months after surgery to change their habits.  set a portion size that satisfies them and meets their nutritional goals ... and stick with that for the long term.  only adding stuff like more vegetables as capacity increases. and maybe fruits if their physical activity and fitness level has increased substantially. It's not easy.  And farther out its probably a lot harder to change the habits but it's possible for certain.  that being said, there is nothing wrong with the DS ... just dont go into it thinking that you can use it to lose more weight and still eat poorly.  yes you will have that maladsorption component to help with stuff like fats, but even with a DS you will still digest 100% of the fast acting carbs you eat, it does nothing for that.  so try to break the eating habits that are stopping you from losing. If you cant, think about revision to a DS ... but go into it looking at it as a training tool to fix your habits, not jsut a body modification solution..

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Marquismark
on 8/21/15 3:05 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Great thoughts.  Thank you.

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics