Not Board Certified in Bariatrics

rocky513
on 8/20/15 8:34 pm - WI

Ditto the no vote.  

I had a VBG in 1985 by a general surgeon who did not know a lot about bariatrics. He messed up pretty bad, and I had to live with his mistake for many years because no other doctor would touch me.

Don't make that mistake.  Find someone with LOTS of experience and get references!  Bariatric surgery is not a simple surgery!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Mojo39
on 8/20/15 8:42 pm
On August 20, 2015 at 8:34 PM Pacific Time, rocky513 wrote:

Ditto the no vote.  

I had a VBG in 1985 by a general surgeon who did not know a lot about bariatrics. He messed up pretty bad, and I had to live with his mistake for many years because no other doctor would touch me.

Don't make that mistake.  Find someone with LOTS of experience and get references!  Bariatric surgery is not a simple surgery!

Thats the thing, he has been doing sleeves only for last 7 years and I met a patient of his on here that had the surgery at the beginning of this month.  She called me and was very satisfied with her surgery and the entire experience. I also spoke with a nurse that refers her patients to him. 

This is the reason Im torn. If I had no references and didnt know his background, I wouldn't bother.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/15 11:06 pm - OH

Personally, I still wouldn't risk it. This is not someone just doign a simple surgery to remove your appendix or gallbladder.  This surgeon is going to create a sleeve and then remove the rest of your stomach... So there isn't much room for error or fixing any problems.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Marquismark
on 8/20/15 9:26 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Absolutely not.  It's your life. Don't be a guinea pig. 

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics