Am I Being Realistic???

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/20/15 5:27 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think what you've experienced losing weight without surgery can apply to those of us who have had surgery.

I'm only speaking for myself.  I was 100% on track after I had surgery.  As time goes by, life, temptations, reality, etc. can poke away at your commitment and resolve.  I lost the majority of my weight in the first year.  I'm still plugging away, but it's harder to keep my eye on the prize at 19 months out. I'm not gaining weight, but I'm not losing any either.  It's frustrating.  

What I do notice is that I'm not falling back into old habits like eating junk food.  I find that I miss the "stuffed" feeling that food gave me.  Although I'm not physically hungry, the head hunger is worse now than it has ever been.

Motivation is easy in the beginning, especially when the results come fast and furious.  Changing my outlook on the types of food I will eat helps, but finding that inner control to say STOP is my bugabear right now.  We are not perfect humans.  We screw up.  But try to really be strict with yourself after surgery to maximize your results.  If you've managed to stick with the six month requirement, you're doing better than many people.  Insurance companies use that because they know many of us will drop out.  Don't give up.  You recognize what you're doing and you're honest about it. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

E_Saenz
on 8/20/15 5:35 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I was really worried before I had my surgery too.  I was afraid id pig out even though I'm not supposed to.  I'm not very far in but I do know after my surgery I am not hungry in fact hunger is gone I eat only because I know I have to in order to lose but that is just me now idk how it will be when I'm completely healed but I can tell you I can't fit much in there.

Elia Maria Saenz

Ready2goNOW
on 8/20/15 6:20 pm

I really appreciate everyone's responses. That is what I love about this board! You can get answers, support, feedback, encouragement...or even lectures to get you back on track as needed!

I am having this surgery in my late 50's mainly due to medical issues. I know I cannot tempt fate any longer without very serious consequences...including death! I don't care so much about the weight as I do about being healthy. Last Fall I was so physically, mentally and emotionally ill from my obesity I feared I would drop dead or not wake up on any given day. I could barely move.

In January I started MFP and began to lose the weight. I had no formal intentions of going on this journey until I began to feel better after losing the 13 lbs. in one month. I still felt crappy, but I was a level up from there. But I knew the challenge that laid ahead...how would I ever lose well over 100 pounds and keep it off when I'd only been successful once or twice in losing about 20? I decided to get serious and went to that February seminar.

My NUT and surgeon never told me to lose weight before surgery. My NUT made suggestions about my food diary, but never said I could not eat certain foods. When we discussed my increased carb intake she said the surgery would pretty much put an end to overindulging b/c I was making such an effort. I have lost over 60 pounds to date.

I always knew I was an emotional eater, but the past six months have definitely underscored how my head hunger and emotions are MARRIED to each other! I am going to read the suggested book as I had little nutritional education prior to this journey, and I believe knowledge is power. I have been doing therapy, but sometimes knowing your triggers and reasons for overeating don't always prevent you from doing it. Yes...self-sabotage...I know it well! And the attention from men after years of obesity and at my age...SCARY!

I am going to save everyone's responses and read them everytime I get those damn cravings.

thank you for such kind words of encouragement!

Kathy

White Dove
on 8/21/15 6:09 am - Warren, OH

Nobody at work knew I was on a six month diet to prepare for surgery.  I ate no rice, sugar, flour, potatoes, or bread.  But I was always on some kind of diet.  Every Thursday was doughnut day at work.  I never ate a doughnut with the others.  I just said that I was on a diet.

At the end of the day the leftover donuts were left for the cleaning people to enjoy.  Several times I worked late and had a doughnut when no one was there to see me.  It was the only cheating I did on my pre-op diet.  

I think it is realistic to slip up.  I was still hungry because I still had my big full-sized stomach.  

After surgery I found it very easy to stick to my plan.  No more hunger and it took very little food for me to be too full.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics