BBQ Sauce

PaulaToronto
on 8/22/15 7:19 pm, edited 8/22/15 7:22 pm - Toronto, Canada

If you want to DIY buy some Heinz Sugar Free ketchup for your base and the brown sugar with 1/2 the sugar.  The ketchup tastes exactly like the real thing.  I use it in meatloafs.  There are tons of recipes depending on your spice preferences. Add the level of hot peppers you want or get smokey flavour with the peppers in adobe sauce .  Any beer or bourbon alcohol will cook off.  This sounds like a project for our foodie/photographer.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

psychoticparrot
on 8/24/15 11:11 pm

The problem with sugar-free BBQ sauce is that, ironically, it has no sugar. The sugar in BBQ sauces is what caramelize on the meat during the final stage of grilling and give it that heavenly sweet smoky taste. I would suggest buying or making a low-sugar (but not no-sugar) sauce, which will give you that toasty caramelized taste without a boatload of sugar. I would also suggest using the least amount of sauce you can get away with. There's almost nothing in any BBQ sauce that's good for you. Use just enough to lightly flavor the meat. You will get the BBQ taste with just a tiny amount of harmful ingredients.

BTW, I've not tried this myself. My husband and son do all the grilling and BBQing, but I'm well-versed in the nuances of making a good BBQ.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

ElizaM
on 8/25/15 8:50 am
VSG on 07/24/14

You inspired me! My husband smoked a brisket in our Weber on Sunday. Just salt and pepper. It was GLORIOUS. I dipped it in a little Stubbs on the side.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Valerie G.
on 8/26/15 9:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Good BBQ requires no sauce!

Find a place that can make fine quality smoked meat and enjoy the pure bliss, sauce-free

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics