This may be a dumb question but I thought I'd ask anyway...

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/15 3:59 am

So, I'm very interested in getting the VSG done. I just am worried about scarring issues. I had spinal fusion surgery back when I was 14 due to severe scoliosis and I have a thick keloid scar straight down my back. I don't care much about an outward scar from the VSG but I was wondering if you can keloid scar inside??  THat may sound like a funny question but I am kinda concerned about if it were to scar weird and my stomach would bunch up in bad way or something? Thanks for reading this. I feel silly posting it but it's an honest question. 

Queen JB
on 8/15/15 4:19 am
RNY on 07/20/15

not a dumb question. I have the same condition and had the same concern. Doc told me that keloid scars do not happen inside the body! 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/15 4:27 am

Really? That is a relief to hear!!! Thank you so much for replying  

Valerie G.
on 8/17/15 10:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I keloid too, but I couldn't tell you if I have any keloids inside.  My open incision looked like a giant zipper for several year, though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/15 3:52 pm

Oh okay! Yeah :/ my back scar is still pretty puffy! It's gotten a lot better though! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/17/15 4:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If your surgery is done laproscopically (most are), you'll have about 5 tiny incisions, mine are about 1/2" long. I would imagine that even if the scar tissue were to grow, the incision might not be enough to mess up the skin too much.

This would be a great question for a potential surgeon. If you haven't been to an info seminar yet, you could ask it at the end-- most of them have time for Q&A. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/15 5:49 pm

Thank you for replying! I should go check out a seminar actually! Thank you for the advice :D 

Most Active
Recent Topics