Flying out tomorrow morning to begin my new VSG life!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 12:00 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

I am so excited for surgery on Saturday morning....although if you looked at me you would not be able to tell. I am exhausted from the Pre-op diet. I am not hungry, haven't been for days, and I only had to do one week of full liquids. But hey, on the plus side, I lost 8 pounds this week Lol. I was almost perfect on my liquids.....I had one cup of lentil soup 2 days ago. Don't think it will do anything to prevent a successful surgery, but I felt bad going off my prescribed full liquids. I read so much about so many VSG pre-op diets...I must say as I was reading them last night, I was pretty jealous of the ones that actually got to eat food, even if it was just salads and chicken. I'd kill for a piece of chicken right now.

I'm already foreseeing post op, I won't say 'issues', but awkward moments. I already have 2 business lunches I have to attend, one 10 days post op, and another the following day after that. I already planned my soup choice for the first one, but I looked online at the menu for the 2nd one, and there is NOTHING I can order at 11 days post op. Do I just sip a large water, and make business talk and say I'm not hungry.

It just sucks that I'm set up for so much success at home, and have no worries there, and a hubby that is SO supportive. But all these work things always seem to revolve around food, and the meetings are at least once a month. And I just don't want to tell my higher ups who I see infrequently.... These last couple of days at work everyone just started asking so many questions, what surgery are you having, why aren't you having lunch with us, why are you only having liquids, is everything ok?? If I knew they were all going to be so nosey about everything I probably would have told them from the start! Lol.

Anyone else have these business related issues or had to navigate around them so close to your surgery date post-op????

Kathy S.
on 8/13/15 12:26 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

lbmoore0
on 8/13/15 1:17 pm

I've not had the surgery yet but I had the pleasure of attending THREE business functions that included a meal while I was in my 2 week liquid pre-op diet.  It was tough but not really as bad as I thought.  I actually took my protein shake with me and just told those that asked that I have an upcoming surgery and am on a restricted diet.  Honestly, nobody asked any further than that so that's how I also plan to handle what I'll be up against when I return after my surgery.  Good luck and kudos to he supportive spouse!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 2:51 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the first meeting will be easier, but the second one I have to interview a potential new doctor to our practice, and I hate how they always do these things over a meal. It will be weird if I don't eat, and weird if I bring a shake....and in my opinion even more weird to have to explain either.  Maybe I'll see if I can change the restaurant to something with better soups on the menu 👍🏻

how have you done on your pre-op liquids?? I know I'm not the first person to not be 100% compliant from everything I'm reading on here....but it's tough. 

psychoticparrot
on 8/13/15 3:34 pm

Here's how I got through eat-out lunches during my post-op liquids phase: Nearly every restaurant in the world has French onion soup. Order it without the cheese, croutons, and all the other crappy stuff they dump on it. All you want is the soup itself -- onions and broth. Sip at the (nearly) clear broth and ignore the onions. Since you're still on liquids, you can sip a glass of water while you eat. If any questions, just say doctor's orders. As your interviewee is a doctor him/herself, he/she should understand. You can have your protein shake later in the privacy of your office.

If it's an interview lunch, he'll probably be too nervous to eat much himself (or herself). 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

iloveravens
on 8/13/15 4:41 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Safe travels and good luck on Saturday 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Cardamom
on 8/14/15 6:37 am

I told people I had GI surgery and would spare them the gory details.  I said I have to take it very easy on my tummy for the next couple months, but not to worry - looking forward to getting back to [the new] normal.  

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/15 11:00 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Cardamom I might just have to steal that response!!! Love it!! Thank you :)

Most Active
Recent Topics