Sleevers: do you judge how the non-sleeved eat?

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/15 9:47 am

I'm still in the phase where I worry if people are watching me eat and wondering what's wrong with me, like I don't like the food or something.  I went out for lunch for the first time since surgery during the work day and ordered the smallest "adult portion" off the menu which was a lunch combo.  I was really hungry at that point and thought I'd at least make a dent in the Grilled chicken and side salad.  I had to get a box and it looked like I didn't even eat anything.  I'm not out about my surgery except to family and a few friends.  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/14/15 12:47 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I don't judge people on how much I see them eat.  I used to be one of them, and would be eating the same amounts still if I didn't have my sleeve.

We can't condemn them for having a normal sized stomach.  Post op our portions look like what NORMAL people eat.  I am amazed at what is considered a normal sized meal served in restaurants in the U.S.  No wonder obesity rates are skyrocketing.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kelly L.
on 8/14/15 1:21 pm

I definitely cannot help but notice how much food people can eat and the piled up plates.   It is a reminder of where I came from though.

Dan1962
on 8/14/15 2:10 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I actually notice this but more intriguing to me is watching the normal sized people and seeing their portions.  I find it amazing that they lived this way forever and just don't eat lot.  I go out to lunch a lot, usually the same place.  I used to eat this badass club sandwich with a pile of fries.  Now I eat 5-6 sea scollops with about a 1/2 cup of sautéed spinach.  It is great.  Now i notice all the other people that are normal and have been eating the proper things right from the beginning.  

The others like I used to be I feel bad for.  They haven't bottomed out and might not.  If anyone asks me about my change in appearance I tell them exactly what I did with the hope they get help.  I explained it to a buddy of mine when I was trying to get scheduled for surgery last year.  Other than the initial question, he didn't seem interested.  He had surgery the same day as me, which I was unaware of, and last I saw him he was down about 100#.

Michele7
on 8/14/15 6:40 pm

I'm waiting to get sleeved for Aug 26. Is anyone out there that has a 35/36 bmi before surgury and how weight did u lose? Also has anyone have any complications. 

Ihearttennis
on 8/15/15 3:56 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I had a 40 bmi with no comorbidities. I am 5'3 and weighed 225 at surgery. My lowest was 125 and I am now 136.I  am 2years and 4 months from surgery.  I didn't have any complications from surgery but I know some people do.  Good luck.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

KathyA999
on 8/14/15 10:19 pm

I don't eat out that often, but I do find myself noticing what people buy at the grocery store.  The chips, ice cream, soda, bread, packaged foods, oh my!  I feel like I have the secret - stop eating carbs - and I wish I could shout it from the rooftops.  If I'd done that I wouldn't have needed surgery.  But of course I couldn't, and neither can most people.  It's sad, really, and I understand the inability - but I still judge!  :-)

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

White Dove
on 8/15/15 5:13 pm - Warren, OH

I often eat until I am unpleasantly stuffed in restaurants.  Even though what I eat looks like a tiny amount to normal people, I am still eating more than I should and feel miserable.  I cant judge others because their stomachs are much bigger than mine and they are probably not as stuffed as I am. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics