5 years out from VSG update and encouragement!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/11/15 7:41 am - MI

Thanks for the honest post! Congrats on your successes and good luck with getting pregnant!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

zebra2010
on 8/12/15 7:57 am

Thank you so much!

zebra2010
on 8/13/15 12:10 am

To those of you who are upfront and honest with people about having WLS, you really have my sincere admiration. for your bravery and honesty.

However, I still believe it is a personal decision. I grew up in a family where I was told often that I was fat and good-for-nothing and lazy. I made the decision to keep the surgery private with the help of my therapist because of the many emotional issues I have surrounding weight. Several years before, I also had a lump removed from my breast and didn't tell anyone about that either (again, except for two friends) not because I felt it was shameful, but because it is private. Ultimately, it is your body and your decision, and I don't think it is something other people should decide for you. 

Kathy S.
on 8/13/15 11:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

thethinme
on 8/17/15 10:59 am, edited 8/17/15 11:02 am - NY

I am 4 years out (haven't been in the site for a good while) and also only told immediate family and two close friends.

A relative just had the surgery this month and told ALL her friends, acquaintances and extended family. She wanted everyone's support and said she doesn't give a **** what others think... I find it very odd to be telling everyone. It's such a personal journey and it's really no one's business except for those extremely close to me. Would anyone go around telling everyone you're having appendicitis surgery? Don't think so, lol.

Truth be told I found out my thyroid was under active only after the surgery, so that might have been why I couldn't lose weight for the first time in my life. I'm being medicated since and will be until the last day of my life.

Anyway - so nice of you to post your story for the newbies! ;)

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

Most Active
Recent Topics