Newly sleeved.....Have a couple of questions

Amber B.
on 8/8/15 11:23 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I was sleeved on Aug.5th and have been home since yesterday morning. I have been drinking my water and protein shakes quite easily, which I know is a GREAT thing. What is worrying me is that I feel like I could drink an 11 oz protein shake within 10-15 minutes with no problems and I'm not getting that "full" feeling, which I know is NOT the goal . I'm just terrified that I will drink too much at one time (sips of course, no chugging) and stretch or damage my sleeve. So my question is how long should it take to get an 11oz protein shake down or a 16 oz bottle of water? I don't want to over do it.

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/15 12:32 pm

First, congrats on your sleeve and such a positive recovery thus far! Awesome!

Also, the not feeling full thing is totally normal. I had the same thing. Remember, all the nerves to your stomach were severed during surgery. It will take weeks and weeks for you to get full feeling/sensation back. I honestly think this is a good thing. Otherwise, can you imagine the pain we might feel each time we took  a sip?

My goal was to drink 2 oz of whatever I was drinking every 15 minutes. However, I found I was able to drink more. It usually took me about 30 to 45 minutes to drink a protein shake (mine were about 10 oz). I could do a cup of water every hour, sometimes more.

By two weeks out I noticed I could feel the liquid going down and settling in my sleeve. I realized that 2 oz was a good amount to sip and then take a break for a while, then start sipping again.

If you are worried that you will harm your sleeve, make sure you drink measured portions recommended by your program. Liquid is most likely not going to damage your sleeve, but you may feel very uncomfortable should you take in too much at once. Keep sipping and measuring and you should be just fine.

Amber B.
on 8/8/15 12:40 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

Ok that makes a lot of sense, and thank god we don't feel the pain of the actual organ being cut...yikes! I think I will try to go a little slower on the drinking, thanks so much for your input!

Ethel S.
on 8/8/15 1:08 pm

My date is coming up on Aug 21st. How was your pre op diet experience? I am happy the worst is behind you.  

Amber B.
on 8/10/15 9:15 am
VSG on 08/05/15

How exciting! I bet you are counting down the days like I was. My two week pre op diet was pretty darn easy BUT compared to others I have seen on here I feel like the program I went through allows lots more food than most, One whole day of food went as follows: 3 protein shakes, 6 oz. of lean meat (divided into two meals) Unlimited vegetables (not including corn,peas,pototoes,lima beans) 1/2 cup cooked starch, 1 medium fruit and 6 oz. low fat yogurt. I passed on the cooked starch because I had already eliminated them from my diet prior too so I didn't want to sabotage myself by introducing them again. Good luck on your surgery! You can do it!

Ethel S.
on 8/10/15 1:41 pm

My diet is protein shakes only and liquid soup. I think I may alter it and have a few vegtables and fish occaisonally. I am excited but a bit nrervous. Lord I wish this was already behind me. Thanks for your response. This site is a true blessing. I keep seeing myself wearing my nice dresses with my big stomach  gone. (LOL)

mackie1967
on 8/8/15 2:19 pm

I am so glad you posted this question. I have been feeling afraid I was going to drink "too much".  I was getting ready to ask the same question when I read your post.

KewGirl
on 8/8/15 2:33 pm

A tip that helped me the first two weeks was not to use the full amount of liquid for the shakes. (I assume your using the powder) My Dr. recommended only filling the shaker with 6oz of liquid. This really helped especially when your goal is to get 64oz of water a day.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Cliff P.
on 8/9/15 7:17 pm
VSG on 03/12/15

Amber

I don't feel full with any liquid at all. When you get to food you will see a big difference. Chicken breast fills me in like 2 or 3 ounces no veggies. Same with good burger(1/4 of it) but cheap burger I can eat a whole thing. No bum of course. Everyone is different you will learn what your body wants and needs.

Thanks

Cliff

DW/287 SW/245 GW/185 hit at 89 day post op.. still doing the happy dance  

Amber B.
on 8/10/15 9:18 am
VSG on 08/05/15

Ok thanks  I am looking forward to learning.

Most Active
Recent Topics