Assistance Post Op? How much is TOO MUCH?

jeepsportgirl
on 8/12/15 8:45 am
VSG on 08/10/15

I came home from the hospital yesterday after staying for one night. My mother brought me home and insists on coming over today to "help" me, although all we will be doing is visiting as I haven't needed any help. I made sure all my laundry and lifting tasks were done prior to surgery. And my husband can do those after work when they need to be done again. I came home yesterday and relaxed in my recliner, dozed on and off, sipped my fluids and walked as often as possible. I was able to make my own drinks and didn't need any help. 

My husband left for work this morning (2 days post-op) and I showered after he left and even blow-dried my hair. I feel really good. When sitting in my recliner, I wouldn't know anything happened. When I move, I feel like I wa*****hed in the gut. I'm not in pain, just sore. 

Plan ahead and you should be fine! :)

5'7" HW: 280.2 Consult Weight: 266.2 SW: 253 (VSG: 8/10/15) CW:219 

DRMackie
on 8/17/15 4:15 pm - Independence, MO

My partner took the week off with me. It was difficult to sit up without attempting to use stomach muscles so she was there to pull me up from the bed and sofa. You can't lift anything over 15lbs for at least the first week. We have 4 dogs. 2 over 20lbs. She did my injections for me cause I don't like needles. She got me what I needed the first couple of days that I still felt doped up. It's nice to not have to do it all yourself if you have someone willing to pick up the pop cycle stick you just dropped and you know you can't reach it right now. 

SassyAmy
on 8/18/15 6:06 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I didn't need someone with me 24 hours after I left the hospital. I was fine to be on my own from Saturday on, but I wasn't alone until the following Monday (I left the hospital on Thursday).

My mom came down from CT and was with me from Thursday (when I came home) to Saturday. She said that she felt bad because there wasn't much for her to do, but I put her on laundry duty :-P

My husband insisted on working from home on Friday, almost worked from home on Monday, but when I told him I didn't need him to, he went into the office.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

ElizaM
on 8/18/15 7:35 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Laundry and vacuuming are the areas where I received and appreciated the most help! Most people were just sorta like, "I thought you'd be more of an invalid."

I still liked having company because there were some hard things about recovery, and I liked having someone to go on my walks with me.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Laura in Texas
on 8/18/15 10:12 am

My mom helped with my kids, but I did not need any help. I did have plenty of ready-to-drink shakes because I was exhausted the first few days and did not even want to make a shake.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics