Telling family about VSG

Sammy_85
on 8/10/15 12:16 am - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Our dad's sound very similar. I have to admit, I considered asking my mom to tell him for me too. I've decided that I'm going to do it after all but I haven't worked up the nerve to yet. I'm very sorry about your Aunt. I can see why telling your dad would be especially hard for you after a loss like that. I don't think my dad is going to come out and say "I support you" either. I just need for him to know and I hope he'll be happy for me once the surgery is over and I start losing weight. I know he's concerned about my health right now so he can't deny that weight loss would be a very good thing. My surgery isn't until January so at least I have some time to prepare to tell him. Good luck with your surgery! Thanks for your input!

Sandra F.
on 8/10/15 6:17 am

My parents did not have an objection to my doing the surgery but they did have an objection to my doing it in Mexico.  But this is my life and I just explained that I had done tons of research on my surgeon and that everything would be okay.  And it was.  I could not have afforded the surgery in the US, so Mexico was my only option as a self pay patient.  Good luck to you with your dad!

Jamie86
on 8/10/15 1:05 pm - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

I was super nervous about telling my best friend, and I did feel like I needed her support and when I first started looking into it she was not on board at all she told me I was nuts and stupid and taking the easy way out! for close to 2 years I didn't say a peep about it to her again. Then when I got my date I knew I had to tell her. Well technically I didn't but she is my best friend so I knew I should out of respect for our friendship. 

So I told her straight up that I needed to talk to her about a subject that is important to me and I was looking for support and not approval from my best friend. I explained to her that I have gotten to the point where I need help and I cant do it on my own. She took it well she did say a few things like "you have been doing so well lately why don't you keep trying" and that she didn't think I needed it and felt it was a drastic step, But overall she was good about it. A mutual friend told me she did say something about it to him but he told her it was not her decision and told her if she was really my best friend that she would support me. She's never really said anything else about it since. 

I guess I took this approach so she would know I was not looking for approval. But really I kind of was. 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

happyteacher
on 8/10/15 1:21 pm

My only advice is to encourage you to stay the course no matter what his reaction is. You may be surprised and he is Ok. I would also include information when you tell him such as 95% of those dealing with obesity are unable to lose and keep it off, the safety record, etc. Data works wonders when used to support how your health needs this. Good luck.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics