Serious regrets after sleeve surgery

Dobby
on 8/8/15 9:56 am

Thanks, Gwen! Great suggestions. I'll look for the Unjury broth and focus on hydration. I'll also get some ginger tea and the Celestial tea that was recommended. I got into a cycle. 

Cardamom
on 8/8/15 8:17 pm

I found the Zofran to be really effective.  I was given it intravenously in the hospital and then left with a prescription for pills.  Just be careful as it can give you a headache.  

I also agree with Gwen about the unjury chicken soup. 

Sip Sip Sip, you can do this!  the meds will help

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/15 12:48 pm

I'm very much in agreement with what Gwen posted above. I want to add to it, though.

Along with dehydration, part of your issue could also be due to a lack of nutrition. You are simply not getting enough protein in and I wonder if you've been taking your vitamins. (Not being judgmental at all, here! Just want to lay it out as I see it.) The protein is so important for your body right now! You need it for your muscle maintenance (remember, that includes your heart muscle!), energy and mental acuity. After keeping hydrated, protein is the most important piece in early post op life. 

I feel for you because you've been in a horrible cycle. What I think you may have to do, as hard as it is going to be, is force yourself to get in the liquids to stay hydrated. You need to get down an absolute minimum of 40 grams of protein per day to start and gradually up that to whatever level your program recommends. (Mine was 60-80 minimum for women, 80-100 for men.) Getting a minimum amount of protein and your vitamins will help with your energy level and help clear up the mental fog.

I bet once you get a handle on the nausea and maintain hydration and start getting adequate nutrition, you will feel a lot better emotionally, too. Best wishes.

MaraFaith
on 8/8/15 5:34 pm - denham springs, LA

Hi Dobby. I'm terribly sorry to hear you have been so sick since your sleeve. The symptoms sound like you are having issues with your blood sugar. I have hypoglycemia and always have even before I was fat. Maybe you could get your PCP to check your blood sugar or check it yourself? I take glucose tablets to help me when my sugar drops. I wouldn't advise taking them without seeing your PCP first though. Hope this helps, just an idea.

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

E_Saenz
on 8/8/15 6:56 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm really hoping you start to feel better  I'm praying for you to geel better whatever you do please try propel or Gatorade and don't gulb sip very small sips and maybe try sf popsicles that might help too if not try peialite in the baby section it's a little more mild.  You need the electrolytes bad if your dehydrated oh yeh the tea i mentioned was peppermint tummy tea from celestrial seasons.good luck.

Elia Maria Saenz

Dobby
on 8/8/15 7:29 pm

Thank you very much.

Sarah M.
on 8/9/15 10:39 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Agree with Gwen & Kairk on staying hydrated and getting enough protein.  You HAVE to do it -- I know it's hard.  A few things that worked for me - Isopure protein drinks.  They taste like crap, so make sure they're really cold.  They're like 40g of protein per bottle & also count towards fluids.  Another key thing that worked were electrolytes.  I was using one called Drip Drop, but then switched to tablets called Nuun because they had lower carbs/calories and tasted A LOT better.  Also more calories.  

This is the hard part -- it gets easier once you start getting your liquids & proteins...I swear!  You can do this.  Sipping & protein should be your full time job right now (easier said than done, I know...)

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

justpete
on 8/9/15 11:13 am
VSG on 04/02/13

it takes work to get enough water in and the right mix of nutrients that works for you.  I recommend people take in 100-120oz of water a day, more if you exercise.  Nutrients, some people can function ok on the low carb thing, others not.  same thing with fats, some can do the low fat and feel fine, others needs some healthy fats in there. You have to jsut go a few weeks with whatever balance you choose and see how it works ... adjsut and move forward!  but I think either way, you need to get in 80g of protein minimum per day.  It's not always this hard, a year or 2 out and life is pretty normal and you dont have to micro manage thigns as much.  but that first year, it's intense and you need to WORK at it.  just like it was a job.  set timers for water and vitamins, meal prep, tracking, etc.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active
Recent Topics