Serious regrets after sleeve surgery

Dobby
on 8/7/15 10:32 pm

I would love to have support and advice. I had my verticals sleeve several months ago, and I have serious regrets. I just came home from the hospital after getting three bags of IV fluids and potassium and anti-nausea medication, and I'm really scared. I'm scared that I will always feel sick and I'm scared I won't be able to enjoy the things that I love because of how tired and sick I feel all of the time. I always thought I would have a better life after surgery but I am foggy headed and miserable. Does this change? I so loved life before except for being 300 pounds and now I am scared and sad and feel so much regret that I changed my body forever. Help me, please forum members. 

gwen41539
on 8/8/15 8:48 am - kimper, KY

Im almost a month out i hqd surgery july 13th i have had a rough start i dont feel normal/good either but it isnt because the surgery the dr did a great job i had other health problems ...maybe you should see a counselor you sound really depressed...why did you have to have fluids are u not drinking?? I still get nauseated and take zofran its usually when i drink a shake...i would get some counseling...there is no undoing it now you are going to have to find a way to live with it...are you following the rules getting vitamins in? Protein in? No eating off plan? I hope you feel better asap 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Dobby
on 8/8/15 8:54 am

Thanks, Gwen. The nausea prevented me from drinking and eating. Then the chronic dehydration made it worse. It was a cycle. I do miss things in my pre-op life like not having to think so much about eating and drinking and I do miss gulping water when I'm thirsty. I may have some depression but it's more that I have been able to take in such limited calories that I haven't had energy and haven't felt well. 

ocean4dlm
on 8/8/15 9:07 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I, too, had a bumpy start. I am now into my third month out, and am consistently hitting 75 grams of protein and 70 + oz. Of fluids. It is really hard to get that cycle of difficulty eating and drinking turned back around, but it is the key to recovery. I kept trying every kind of liquid... hot, warm, cold, plain, flavored, savory, tea. Some things worked one day and not the next. Some things that hadn't tasted good, suddenly did.I began to add unflavored protein powder to EVERYTHING to up my protein intake. My whole recovery shifted once I got those liquid and protein numbers up. You just have to work at it moment to moment, and one day you'll realize you've turned the corner.

Best wishes !  You can do it !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Ethel S.
on 8/8/15 1:16 pm

Hi its good to connect with you. I am 59 scheduled for a sleeve on Aug 21st.  Same height current weight 210.   

Ethel S.
on 8/8/15 1:18 pm

Hi its good to connect with you. I am 59 scheduled for a sleeve on Aug 21st.  Same height current weight 210.   

E_Saenz
on 8/8/15 9:10 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

It's going to be a while before you feel normal it's a part of the process I'm sorry I haven't had my sleeve yet to really give advise from a post op perspective but I do know you need to drink propel or Gatorade to keep hydrated otherwise you will feel sick and weak and you need your protine by now you should be on pureed foods so a cream soup or one blended in a processor you need protine to feel energy you just have to take it slow sip and eat very slow take your time I was told use a baby spoon it will control your bite sizes and if your having a hard time sipping try a sippy cup it controls the amount you get at one time.  If your having a hard time with water try an herbal tea there is one I bought for after surgery that helps calm nausea it's celestrial seasons tummy tea.  I hope this helps.  

Elia Maria Saenz

Gwen M.
on 8/8/15 9:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What are you eating every day?  How much liquid are you drinking?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Dobby
on 8/8/15 9:42 am

The nausea and discomfort were so overwhelming I was only able to eat a few spoonfuls of yogurt or soup. Minestrone soup has been the easiest food to consume. What has been happening is about an hour after eating anything I start to have dry heaving (sorry for the unappealing image). Then it is very hard to drink or eat afterward. I was in urgent care last night and I have a prescription for Zolfran (sp?)which is an anti-nausea med. I will now be on Zolfran, Reglan, Ativan (helps with nausea), and Pepcid AC for now until my symptoms go away. I know no one here knows me personally, but I am usually a very happy and joyful person and being so ill in the past few months has made me really bummed and concerned. 

Gwen M.
on 8/8/15 9:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It sounds like you're letting yourself get dehydrated because of the nausea, and then it's a never ending self-perpetuating cycle.  :/  Work on drinking as much as possible.  If that means you need to go back to protein shakes, do that.  There's also protein chicken broth by Unjury that might work well for you.  Once you're able to get 64-96 ounces of liquids a day, then work on adding in softer solids.  Getting on top of the dehydration should be your first order of business!  

Have you considered a PPI like Prilosec or Nexium instead of Pepcid which is an H2 blocker?  It might be worth asking your surgeon if a PPI would work better for you.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics