Book recommendations

goin4change
on 8/7/15 5:18 pm

I am just starting the process, although I have pretty much decided on the sleeve if I have the surgery.  Do you have any layperson readable book recommendations  to help with making the decision to proceed?  My heart says to do it but my head is telling me to get more educated.  

Gwen M.
on 8/8/15 8:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've read a few books on the WLS topic, but they were so unremarkable that I can't even remember the names to pass on to you!  

What did help me was reading through ever single post in these forums.  It took many days, but I learned a LOT.  I also found a lot of blogs through these forums and I read through those and added them to my blog feed.  There's a lot of amazing information out there :)  Good luck!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

KayDeeCee
on 8/8/15 8:32 am
VSG on 01/26/15

I think the first book on Weight Loss Surgery I read was  "Weight Loss Surgery: Finding The Thinner You" by, Barbara Thompson. I am not at home right now, so I can't check it. I don't recall if she had the Sleeve, which is what I had, but her book was very inspiring, and definitely brought me from "I am not sure if I should have WLS" to " Yes, I  will". I actually read the book 2 1/2 years before having the surgery (because of insurance denial, I ended up going Self-Pay), but after having my VSG surgery, I very much remembered and heeded her advice about taking advantage of the "Honeymoon period". I also read "Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies" just before I had my surgery. HTH! :-) Kay

White Dove
on 8/8/15 8:37 am - Warren, OH

I have read many books and the one I see as invaluable is Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies.  Make sure you get the one that was revised in 2012.

It will get you through every step of the process and is easy to read.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/15 5:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Seconded! I found this one super helpful, and it was a great resource for my family members as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

goin4change
on 8/8/15 2:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!  I have been reading this forum all day and will order weight loss surgery for dummies to my kindle.  

psychoticparrot
on 8/8/15 9:47 pm

My personal favorite -- "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success: A Practical Patient Guide to Help Maximize Your Weight Loss Results" by Dr. Duc C. Vuong

"Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny" by Nick Nicholson M.D. and B. A. Blackwood

"Eat For Health" by Joel Fuhrman M.D.

"The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients" by Colleen M. Cook

"Wesley the Owl" by Stacey O'Brien (This has nothing to do with weight loss; it's just a great read!)

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics