Something that really bothers me!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/15 6:41 am

Most people who ask this are right out of surgery. They always start with the saying I wasn't a big drinker before surgery. Well I call bull**** on that.

I will be honest I drank a ton of booze before surgery. I mean I was in the bag almost every weekend. Once in a while I will have a glass of wine. But it leads to me raiding the fridge. Or I drink too much on an empty stomach and get totally screwed up. 

Some people can handle drinking after surgery some can not. I can not. 

There was a woman I know who had a beautiful daughter and a great husband. Well she had WLS. She started drinking a lot over a period time. Was the life of the party. Well one day she went to work. She was drunk. She passed out in the bathroom and hit her head and guess what she is dead.  Now her daughter doesn't have a mother anymore. She is only 17 years old. I am not blaming WLS on this. Transfer addiction is real. 

Most of the people who post not drinking or being careful understand what can happen. We are not bible beaters who are being holier than thou. We know what can happen. 

It is scary what can happen. We all have to be aware of what we do now. We wanted the surgery to get healthy. People here want us to do well. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/15 7:37 am
VSG on 09/29/14

I am closing this thread with the following Public Service Announcement:

When someone asks a question about drinking or anything else for that matter;

Educated Answer: Call your surgeon or from personal experience after a specific amount of time

Judgemental answer: You shouldn't be drinking, You can have a good time without drinking,Why do you need to drink!

And to assume that someone wants to drink as soon as they get out of the hospital is just idiotic!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/15 7:41 am

I was just sharing. That is what this board is for. I shared that story about my friend which was not easy for me. My heart breaks every time I see her daughter.

We didn't become obese from having self control.

Gwen M.
on 8/8/15 8:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here's a Public Service Announcement for you in return - you can't actually "close" a thread.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/15 12:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I am closing this thread with the following Public Service Announcement:

When someone asks a question about drinking or anything else for that matter;

Educated Answer: Call your surgeon or from personal experience after a specific amount of time

Judgemental answer: You shouldn't be drinking, You can have a good time without drinking,Why do you need to drink!

And to assume that someone wants to drink as soon as they get out of the hospital is just idiotic!!!

Here is my Public Service Announcement: telling someone that medical research says something (drinking, eating donuts, playing hide-and-seek with rabid water buffalo) is bad is NOT judgemental-- it's presenting facts and medical best practices.

Bonus PSA: folks who flip out over said warnings tend to have a more difficult time with their loss.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 8/8/15 8:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What really bothers me is when new people come along and get all pissed off when they ask questions and don't get the answers they want to hear.  

You shouldn't drink and you can have fun without drinking.  Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.  

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Donna L.
on 8/8/15 2:31 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've always liked the frank nature of the boards... people who are successful at WLS aren't randomly doing well.  There is a reason you are successful, and that is why I always try to take to heart whenever one of you folks posts advice.  Obviously it works.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/15 1:29 pm

I just want to say if a post makes you mad. Don't delete your profile. We always do not hear what we want to. Also when we read someones post we have no idea what they sound like when they type. 

There are a lot of people here who want to help. The vets that are here want to help. Sometimes it may seem people are being judgmental but they really do care. 

I am will be two years out in October and I have learned a lot from this website. My doctors office I have changed since they are not that helpful. I have gotten a lot of encouragement here also. I have had some really crappy days and someone here will help me get through something I am dealing with.

There are a lot of resources here to help you. 

zann50
on 8/10/15 4:53 am

I repeat the same message as to other poster regarding alcohol...try other WLS forums/boards...you may find the answers you are seeking.

Zann

VGS- 2015

Gwen M.
on 8/10/15 5:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'll take "truth" over "the answers I'm seeking" any day of the week.  What we want to hear is not often what we should hear.  

Most Active
Recent Topics