Something that really bothers me!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/7/15 8:38 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On August 7, 2015 at 8:10 PM Pacific Time, Simone13 wrote:

I replied to a post someone asking about alcohol a few days ago.  I agree with you completely.  Hell it was a question I wanted to ask.  I'm a casual drinker and I got sleeved 3 weeks ago.  So yes I would like an occasional drink so I wanted to know the answer as well but the responses the person received were to judgemental.  Someone told this person she needed seek counseling for even thinking about drinking after the sleeve.  What????  Just crazy!!!  I definitely plan to have one after I heal!!!  Cheers!!

Posterity

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ChubbyHubby82
on 8/10/15 1:49 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

Very casual drinker here as well...1-2 beers here and there or a reds apple ale...I too wandered that but the gestapo will get you...if you post something like that.

On my one year anniversary I plan on having my first post-op adult beverage. Why? Because I will be celebrating working my ass off. 

Simone13
on 8/10/15 3:02 pm

Cheers to that!!  Why not!!!  You're exactly right this is very hard work.  I think I will start with some miniatures first!!!

ChubbyHubby82
on 8/10/15 1:49 pm
VSG on 07/06/15
Chilipepper
on 8/7/15 8:15 pm
On August 7, 2015 at 4:52 PM Pacific Time, lopezzito wrote:

What really bothers me is when someone asks about when should they start drinking alcohol and freaking righteous people start preaching about how you shouldn't drink and how you can have fun without drinking!!! Come on guys we are all adults here! Stop with the preaching, if you don't have an educated or helpful answer don't say crap!!! That's what church is for.

Telling them NOT to drink is EDUCATED AND HELPFUL!  When you are around the boards for longer then a minute and have lost friends from alcohol transfer addictions then you can judge others advice! Until then, unless you have and educated or helpful response, don't wag your finger at others who actually do!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/7/15 8:30 pm

Y'know what bothers me? Someone who just had major surgery but is so unaware that he or she doesn't want to wait to drink. It's like a toddler yelling for a toy. 'I want what I want right now. Waaaaahhhhhh!' 

Alcoholism is no joke. No matter what anyone says, we are all here because we have problems with food. It is not a stretch to imagine we might have problems with alcohol.

Maybe from now on we should all say, 'Sure, drink up. We don't want to PREACH.'

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/7/15 8:50 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You're right.

People should stop at a liquor store on the drive home from the hospital and have a party  

So many people here are just buzz killers. They don't know that the most important is to have a good time.  Ignore the haters. Get your freak on 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Laura in Texas
on 8/7/15 8:59 pm

Let's forget the serious issue of cross- transfer addiction for a second and remember alcohol has too many empty calories. Period. Anyone who has just had weight loss surgery needs to limit their calories as long as possible to maximize their weight loss. When they ask about alcohol early out, a red flag goes off for me. Someone who wants to justify consuming extra calories early out (whether it be alcohol or pizza or Taco Bell) needs help. I did not put my life on the line to remain obese.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/8/15 6:12 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

When people ask when can they have alcohol so soon after surgery makes me wonder why did they bother even having surgery? If they know it's empty calories & it taxes their over stressed liver, why take the risk?, & you get drunk faster!, more of a reason to not drink. Who wants to act a fool in public? 

I like Grimms earlier answers, you can drink when you're ready to stop losing weight.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

poplargreys
on 8/7/15 9:25 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

What really bothers me is when someone asks about alcohol at all... I guess my surgeon and nutritionist and counselor must be the only medical professionals in the whole world that discuss ALL of the reasons stated over and over again in EVERY alcohol thread posted here on OH with their patients.

What other reason for this baffling lack of education on the consequences of alcohol consumption after WLS could there possibly be?

Couldn't possibly be that people keep asking the same question over and over, perhaps with slightly different phrasing, hoping to get an answer they WANT to read instead of an answer that might actually HELP them.

Most Active
Recent Topics