Colon Transit Study

diamondranch
on 8/7/15 12:14 pm

Had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy done 5 years ago, things in that department going great. Unfortunately for the past 39 years since the traumatic birth of my first son I have been plagued with chronic constipation and now after all these years have a dr. that seems to care, till today. I was scheduled for a colon transit study and picked up the markers last night at the hospital. To make a long story short.......the markers are radio opaque markers that I am supposed to swallow 20 of them at breakfast.........I take in a quart cup of food at a meal........ these markers are like little plastic straws and I worry that they will get stuck in the stomach (like a heap of hay) and not pass and then surgery to get them out. I have cancelled the testing and will get a second opinion. Suggestions? My husband thinks I should do what the surgeon said, though we have never talked about the size of my stomach. Thanks.

emelar
on 8/7/15 2:22 pm - TX

Surgeons understand what partial gastrectomies are, which is what a sleeve is.  Call him and ask him if it's going to be a problem.  I'm surprised he didn't take a medical history from you about the surgery!

diamondranch
on 8/8/15 10:15 pm

For sure! The red flag went up after this. I am going to get a second opinion. Thanks very much!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/7/15 3:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If the doctor doing the colon study is not your bariatric surgeon, call the doctor who performed your surgery to get his/her opinion.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

diamondranch
on 8/8/15 10:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my surgeon passed away unexpectedly last year. Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics