Alcohol

zann50
on 8/7/15 1:49 pm

I in no way am being snarky...please post your question to other WLS sites and see how other folks respond.  You must know by now how ALL the physicians have different instructions to patient...so do all the different WLS sites.  Find one you feel is acceptable with an answer you feel is appropriate.  Good luck with your journey🎈🎈

Zann

VGS- 2015

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/15 1:01 pm

We actually care. I didn't post to be mean or judgmental. I will say I don't like to drink. I did before. I don't now because I feel I don't have the control over myself. 

Don 1962
on 8/6/15 1:06 pm

When you are in ketosis, AKA rapid weight loss, your liver is busting it's ass metabolizing all the **** that was stored in your fat that is being sent it's direction.  Alcohol just adds to it's work load.  Cut it some slack.

AmyDee123
on 8/6/15 1:23 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Addiction aside...

Most doctors (your doctor may be different, so you will want to check with them) say 1 year, or goal.  One of the main reasons behind this is you liver cannot spend the time cleaning out the alcohol from your system and flush the fat from your system as well.  It is working really hard when we lose weight so fast, one of the reasons we need to drink so much water while losing.  When you add alcohol on top of that it can cause a number of challenges.  Mildly, it can cause weight loss stall.  Do it enough and you can halt weight loss all together.  (have some people still lost while drinking, yeah but there are exceptions to every rule)  Worse case it can cause you to get very sick.  My doctor said it can even cause your liver to shut down and you don't want that.  The best bet is to follow the plan, no matter what others have gotten away with in the past, because you don't know if you are going to be the person who doesn't "get away with it".  Also, you want to follow the plan on all things so you are not sitting around later wondering why you did not lose weight.  Its just best.  Your doctor won't tell you you can't ever have alcohol again, but you should refrain for the typical "one year or goal" stance.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Kathy S.
on 8/6/15 5:30 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi joshsjourney

Your journey is your own. You and you alone will make choices during your honeymoon phase.  That being said, let me share with you some of my experiences being on these boards over 10 years.  

I can't tell you how many times I have seen members that stray from the rules given to them during the first year and regret it BIG TIME.  The surgery as you know is a tool, while you are swollen and your stomach small is the time to unlearn every bad behavior you have lived and relearn how to live a new and unfamiliar life style.  It comes down to what we have not wanted to hear for years.  It's what you eat, how much, move and deal with head issues.

Personally I knew if I took one bite or drank something not approved my head issues would take over and talk me into another and another and then I would be right where I had been so many times in my fat life. Putting the weight back on but now stuck with permanent re-arranged insides.  I did not, touch anything off the eating plan for me until 18 months after surgery and hitting goal of losing over 200 pounds after a year.  

What really freaked me out was I was never a drinker.  I had one glass of wine from time to time.  The first time I had a glass of wine it put me in the hospital.  They thought I had liver cancer because my white count was off the charts.  I went to see my surgeon that week and told him about going to the ER, not mentioning drinking. I thought I was dying.  He laughed, yes laughed and said did you have anything to drink?  I said yes just one glass of wine and he said there you go.  It was the cause of my ER adventure.

Everything that has been said here is because we care  .  Don't take it personally just respect those of us that have gone before you.  WE have been there done that and you can benefit from our experiences.  Make your choices and good luck, we are here for you.

One more suggestion, try an ice tea...you can tell everyone it's a long island tea 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/15 7:40 am, edited 8/6/15 7:40 am

My program guide states that "..many coffee drinks, smoothies, fruit juices, etc... and alcohol are liquids that are high in calories." Goes on to say,  "We do not recommend drinking alcoholic beverages at any time post surgery, however alcohol may be consumed safely six months after surgery."

I don't drink, so it wasn't an issue for me, but your question made me open up my program guide which I haven't done in a long, long while!

Anyway, check with your program/plan/nutritionist/surgeon to get the guidelines they'd like you to follow. (Though I realize not everyone has as comprehensive a post surgery manual as the one I got, which is over 80 pages.)

As for tastes changing: Yes, I have had some changes in taste. I no longer enjoy pasta. I used to love pasta, but now it holds no appeal. It tastes of nothing and the texture is unpleasant to me. I also did not like rice for the first year or two. I can eat a little now when I have it in sushi, but that's about it. I went through a stage where I wanted food very spicy. That was between 12 and 24 months post op. That has leveled out.

My biggest taste change was my taste for sugar. I'm sure it was always there, but I was not aware of how much of a sweet tooth I had. So, yes, post op, my sensitivity to sugary foods is heightened. So, while it may seem to me that I enjoy sweets far more than before surgery, I think what has happened is I have become aware of how much sugar I really ate as an obese person. A few people who are close to me have confirmed that I indeed ate a lot of sweets prior to VSG. So, maybe it's not really a change in taste, but a change in awareness.

sds0029
on 8/6/15 2:48 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Josh .. When I could have solids which is when my tummy was healed (after 42 days per my surgeon) and I started with bourbon and water; staying away from carbonation.  I'm 6 1/2 months out doing fine.  My intake is tracked in my fitness pal.  So far so good.  But if/when I encounter a stall I will reevaluate.  Good luck.  

Simone13
on 8/6/15 4:19 pm

No judgement here.  I actually wanted to know the same exact thing.  I do understand your occasional need for a drink and so do I.  As a former Atkins Dieter.  I would only drink Vodka (0 carbs) and diet cranberry juice.  Don't feel bad for asking the question because it's a very real and  valid question. Thank you so much for asking it!!!  I haven't had a drink since my surgery.....but it's only been 2 1/2 weeks so I know better. But will I have a drink when everything is healed....ABSOLUTELY!!!

Cardamom
on 8/6/15 4:56 pm

Whoa, hot topic!  I am only 2.5 weeks out, but I asked out of curiosity and my doctor estimated about 6 months or after i'm through the bulk of my weight loss.  He said a glass of wine should be fine, absolutely no binge drinking and highly cautioned against driving (e.g. no more going out to Happy Hour for 'just one' and heading home after).  He didn't lecture or scold me for asking.  

On a related note - I have a girlfriend who is a state trooper who offered to conduct a sobriety experiment with me once I do have my first glass. While that is still very far away, i will share an update.  

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

kranky813
on 8/6/15 5:37 pm
VSG on 08/20/15

I am scheduled for surgery in 13 days and like you I asked the same question to both my surgeon and psychologist and the both said after 1 year and no carbonation. They warned me about the dangers of addiction and asked why. I just like the occasional drink. I've never been a big drinker but wanted to know if I ever could again. If they said never that was fine with me.. I would ask your surgeon if I was you. I work in an industry where drinking is expected. Our company expense reports pay for rounds of shots. I will have to say no in the future but a glass of wine every few weeks is OK per my plan. Just be cautious and ask the right questions. 

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

Most Active
Recent Topics