Alcohol

joshsjourney
on 8/6/15 11:12 am

How quickly after surgery were you approved to have any alcohol and has your taste/preference changed since surgery?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/6/15 11:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Alcohol post-op is No Bueno. It hits us much harder, and most folks have a much lower tolerance after surgery.

Additionally, it's nothing but empty calories, not what we need when losing weight.

Search the forums for "transfer addiction." It's absolutely possible to see someone depend too much on alcohol when removing previous coping mechanisms (i.e. food).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

joshsjourney
on 8/6/15 11:22 am

I get the addiction issue but social drinking is commensurate with my job and is something I would like to continue on occasion, i know I can't drink as much as before just wondering around when Drs cleared people for alcohol. 

on 8/6/15 11:23 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Even "on occasion" and "not as much as before" is not a good idea, you're far better off with seltzer water, diet coke (once cleared for carbonation), or SF lemonade dressed up as a mocktail.

joshsjourney
on 8/6/15 11:29 am

when can i expect to be clear for carbonation.  I'm not certain as to why you are completing against ever consuming alcohol again

on 8/6/15 11:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Carbonation is a question for your doctor. I was cleared at 6 months.

I'm not saying alcohol is off the table forever. Some folks can do a glass of wine occasionally AFTER they hit maintenance (a year or more post-op). If you want to drink, nobody's going to stop you. But when a glass of wine is 25% of your daily calorie allotment and you can get sloshed off one glass? Not the smartest choice.

joshsjourney
on 8/6/15 11:38 am

I imagine that from time to time everyone goes beyond the parameters of their diet. The one problem i have is my non drinking drink was always club soda which i can't have either.  I'm not a big fan of the artificially sweetened drinks like crystal light, diet soda/tea, etc so I'd like to just be able to have a drink once in a while in certain situations and on certain occasions I don't see anything wrong with that as long as its done within the context of the entire scope of the weight loss plan

on 8/6/15 11:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Some people do "go beyond the parameters of their diet," whether it's with beer or twinkies or whatever else. And observationally, those people are the ones least likely to be successful.

Bottom line: check with your doctor or nutritionist. If you're set on drinking, nobody here is going to stop you.

joshsjourney
on 8/6/15 11:44 am

I'm not looking for anyone to stop me I'm an adult and I can make informed decisions about what i put in my body which is what i thought this forum was for.  I posted here looking for some friendly advice instead i get trolled by some guy and you appear to making me feel like i need to visit AA and start the steps.  It was a simple question and i resent the snarky tone

on 8/6/15 11:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM Pacific Time, joshsjourney wrote:

I'm not looking for anyone to stop me I'm an adult and I can make informed decisions about what i put in my body which is what i thought this forum was for.  I posted here looking for some friendly advice instead i get trolled by some guy and you appear to making me feel like i need to visit AA and start the steps.  It was a simple question and i resent the snarky tone

Holy overreaction, batman!

"Be careful and probably avoid the alcohol because of potential problems" is friendly advice intended to make your own decision. The rest (including looking for non-existent snark) is in your hands.

Most Active
Recent Topics