Energy levels post-op?

Sammy_85
on 8/7/15 2:40 am - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Hi everyone!

I am wondering about energy levels post sleeve. How long did it take for your body to adjust to the much reduced portions of food? I work a job where I am on my feet for 8 hours and I'm concerned that I might not have the energy to make it through a shift. How long did you take off of work after surgery? I'm thinking the 3 weeks I'm planning on taking off will be sufficient time for my body to heal and adjust to my food intake but I'm not sure! What do you guys think?

Ahmadk
on 8/7/15 5:35 am

I just finished week 2 i have energy, but the issue is in the billy button incision. It drain and as if it is open. I dont know how much time do you need. For the energy level. I was pretty week in the first week since i was consuming clear liquids only. Second week is much better because i started taking yougort and protien shake. Hope i helped u

rocky513
on 8/7/15 5:49 am - WI

Your body will burn fat for energy.  If you are taking your vitamins and getting your protein in, you will have the proper nutrition.  Your energy level might be off because of the trauma of surgery and the anesthesia for a while, but not from lack of food.  The body is a wonderful, efficient, machine that will go to any available source for fuel.  Early out from surgery it has plenty of fuel to tap into.  Don't fall into the trap of believing that you need to eat more food to feel stronger.  You will go through withdrawal from carbs.  You will experience "head hunger" until you wrap your head around just how little food you need to thrive.  That is the hardest part.  We are so used to eating large amounts that your brain is going to try to convince you that you can't possibly survive when eating so little.  We really need very little food.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sandra F.
on 8/7/15 6:11 am

I took 2 weeks off from work, but I have a desk job.  I did feel like I needed more time though as my energy level did not come bac****il about a month out.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/15 9:07 am

I had my VSG done a week before winter break started (I'm an elementary school teacher). I had 3 1/2 weeks off from school. That was more than enough! I could have gone back to work a week and a half after VSG, no problem. I would have been a bit tired at the end of the day, but working would have been totally "doable".

Tracy D.
on 8/7/15 2:17 am, edited 8/7/15 2:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My husband had VSG in April 2014.  He also works a job where he's standing for 8 hours a day and pretty active.  He took a full two weeks off post-op and was fine going back.  As long as you keep in mind your lifting restrictions (which will last longer than 3 weeks) and don't have any other complications, three weeks should be enough time. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

winehead
on 8/7/15 12:07 pm

I had my surgery Apr 15th.  I took two weeks off and went back to work but was careful.  Maybe week 3 or 4 i was a little tired but it didnt last that long.  I too work on my feet 8 hours and it wasnt that bad just follow your Dr's instructions .

Valerie G.
on 8/7/15 12:11 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It took a good 6 weeks before I felt like myself again.  I took 8 weeks off work total.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sammy_85
on 8/7/15 3:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'll stick to 3 weeks off and see how it goes. 

Most Active
Recent Topics