Hypoglycemia

sfair1123
on 8/5/15 9:38 am

Anyone else get light headedness and sweaty/shaky feeling after their surgery. I am 10 months post op and started about 2 months ago. GP told me to eat more... it helps but sometimes I still feel it. Any tips or tricks?

mmsmom
on 8/5/15 10:23 am - Woburn, MA

I get it occassionally - but if you eat enough protein and ease up on the carbs, that helps.  I find a yogurt to be a quick fix.

VSG on 04/28/2014

happyteacher
on 8/5/15 11:35 am

I have experienced what you are describing from a few different causes, so I am going to review them all and the "fixes" that worked for me. Not sure if any of this will match up for you, but worth a gander anyway.

1. Hypoglycemia- I struggled a lot with this early out. Track exactly what you eat and document when you have episodes. It will reveal a pattern for you, and in turn this info can be used to tweak your diet to manage it better. For example, in the early months I literally had to eat a few carbs in the middle of the night, or I was really low in the morning. Eventually via trial and error I found that I am well managed at 30 net carbs per meal and 15 net carbs per snack, 3 meals and 2-3 snacks all spaced out. Pasta causes significant issues, as I found I plunged after eating a serving and even now I won't eat more than 2 penne noodles worth of pasta at once and only with protein. I also found out that if I drink a protein shake first thing in the morning (nothing else) then my blood sugar drops a little too. IF blood sugar is the issue, spacing out carbs does the trick. Not too many, and not too little. 

2. Dumping. Yes, Vsg'rs can dump. I notice that if I have a lot of sugar it can trigger being sweaty, heart palpatations, and in general feeling crappy. Again, tracking exactly what you eat and when your episodes occur can help pinpoint.

3. Low blood pressure. More lightheaded than anything and passing out or feeling close to it. Turned out it was low sodium due to my complete diet change post op and eliminating all processed food and not cooking with salt or anything. Powerade zero and an effort to add sodium (sodium pill at one point) did the trick. Not that my blood pressure is high now, but at least it is up to 90/60 and I don't feel like I am going to drop.

4. Dehydration. If this is it, drink more. Most people need 64 ounces or so... not this chica. I go at least 140 ounces per day. There is just something about my system that needs a whole lot more fluiid. 

5. For my hubby it was a needed change in medication. He lost a lot, and needed to drop his metformin and blood pressure pills. 

Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 8/6/15 8:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Great answer, Happy! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 8/5/15 11:37 am
Most Active
Recent Topics