Wish me luck with gallbladder appt - nervous wreck

ElizaM
on 8/4/15 11:20 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Well, I'm having it out on Friday! I'm really relieved, frankly, although I am a bit bummed about having to have surgery. I'm so grateful to my surgeon for fitting me in so soon.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

MissNexxie
on 8/4/15 12:20 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I had mine out one year after vsg and it was a much easier recovery than my sleeve. And not having those pain episodes is priceless. Rest lots and allow yourself ample recovery time (its still major surgery) and you'll be back kicking butt in no time! Good luck!

I was back eating normally in about a month. No fat or caffeine restrictions.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

E_Saenz
on 8/4/15 6:01 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm so glad he got you in so fast I had to wait almost a month before they took mine out only because they werent worried about a stone passing the stone i had was as big as a golf ball from all the dieting i had done over the years.  So i wont have to worry about that after vgs thank God I know how it feels it's an awful pain every time you eat.  I hope the surgery goes well and you heal quickly.

Elia Maria Saenz

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/4/15 11:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had my gallbladder out before my WLS, probably about 5 years ago. Yeah, it was a pain to do all of the appointments and stuff, but I was in a lot of pain and that all went away after surgery.

The pre-op testing should actually be pretty minimal. I had one test for the gallbladder where I drank some stuff and then laid in a machine for an hour while it took pictures. That was enough to say, "nope, let's take it out." Then one test for the anesthesia clearance (treadmill test and bloodwork), and that was it.

It took far less time to get in for my gallbladder surgery as opposed to the WLS. Insurance approval was super quick-- they saw my test results and said it was "medically necessary" with no hassle. I had only one week before scheduling and surgery day, since the general surgeon wasn't nearly as busy as the bariatric surgeon.

Recovery wasn't as bad, either. I was really sore for a while, but I didn't feel sluggish after surgery like I did with my sleeve. I was out of work for 3 weeks per surgeon's recommendation, but I probably would have been fine on a week and a half. And no funky eating plan afterwards!

So in the end, it wasn't nearly as bad as my VSG, and totally worth it to not hurt anymore. Hopefully you can get it all taken care of quickly and easily!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/4/15 11:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Swinging chickens for good luck to head your way.  I still have my gall bladder so I don't know everything that surgery entails, but it sounds far less invasive that the VSG.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/4/15 12:35 pm

I had my GB surgery on Thursday, I was back to work on Monday... (desk job). I was very tired for close to a month.. but it is doable. I asked my doc to schedule the surgery on Thursday - so I would have 3.5 days to recover.. since I could not lose many work days.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

michele1
on 8/4/15 12:49 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

Prayers and positive thoughts are coming your way. No matter what happens you've got this!!!!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

stacyrg
on 8/4/15 1:02 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Good luck!  I had my gallbladder out 8 months after my WLS. It was a piece of cake. Surgery at 8:00 am and discharged at 12:30. I took two days off of work, one for the surgery itself. I felt better immediately after. If you do have to have it removed, I hope your procedure goes as smoothly as mine!!

gwen41539
on 8/5/15 8:37 am - kimper, KY

Wow he did get you in quick that was awesome...and i hope you recover quickly any type of surgery just sucks peroid...we will be here for you keep us posted sweet lady

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

StephK10
on 8/5/15 9:14 am

I have a gall bladder and have had no issues, so I'm no help there. But I will say good luck and good rest to you.  It sounds like you handled it well - you named your fears, delineated them and were able to find out answers for all of them.   I think you'll be happily surprised at the ease of a GB removal vs. a VSG. This surgery will be a piece of cake.

XOXO!

Steph

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Most Active
Recent Topics