A Month Out - Feeling Great But Weird (Rant)

ElizaM
on 7/30/15 12:27 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Came here to post this. The hunger you're describing really does remind me of the excess acid hunger I experienced in the early months. I switched from one PPI (can't even remember which right now) to Protonix and that nixed it.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 12:57 pm

Thank you both. That is my suspicion, as well, but I figured I'd check and see if this seemed to be the case for anyone else. I will see what I can get that is stronger.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Ok2BaLoser
on 7/30/15 6:17 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

I'm 5 weeks post op and solids are still hard for me (even if mushy and tuna is a one bite and done). I assume that maybe there could be a variance in sleeve sizes? I don't recall the medical term used for the sleeve size, but maybe you could ask your surgeon. I was also told today to lose between 25-35lbs in the next 6 weeks. Guess everyone's surgeon and expectations are different. I'm sure you are doing fine!!

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 7:40 pm

Thank you! Yes, I think the difference in surgeon's expectations play a large part in the variety of our recoveries. Perhaps there is also a variance in sleeve sizes. My doctors think I am doing great so far and losing at the right pace, etc. I just get nervous when I hear stuff like how little others can eat, because it ultimately makes me feel like something just isn't working or right.

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Scarlette B.
on 7/30/15 9:21 pm - TX
RNY on 03/20/14

I validate you! I would be very nervous that if I could eat 900 calories 4 weeks out what is the 90 day to 120 day expectation?  I could eat more every month.. Up to 1200 max now at 16 months. I don't think I am worried about you tolerating everything, I was golden on most everything also, but the amount.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

FuturePinUp
on 7/31/15 3:39 am

My doctors don't want me counting calories this early, just protein, but it looks like the calorie goal along with the protein one, does not change for the first 3 months. Then we revisit where I'm at and make adjustments if needed.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/31/15 5:51 am
RNY on 08/21/12

After seeing thousands of people writing in detail about their weight loss process, patterns emerge. Those who count calories do better than those who don't. Those eating smaller portions and fewer calories during the early months do better than those that don't. Those who drink empty calories, especially those in alcohol, don't do as well as those who don't. Those *****fuse to eat the less nutritious crap on the plans from their doctors and nutritionists do better than those who say "but it's on my plan."

Learning from others who have been down the same road is always a good choice.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

FuturePinUp
on 7/31/15 6:16 am

Thank you! Then I am completely satisfied with everything I am doing! Prior to the surgery and all throughout, I have read hundreds of posts from successful members. I have added people on food tracking sites and combed through their entries. I appreciate you reaffirming what I am doing and I feel positive I will be completely successful in this journey. I trust my medical team entirely and so far have gotten great results. The big difference seems to be that my team focuses on making this a maintainable lifestyle from as early on as possible, and keeping that steady. It seems like other people's plans have them gradually getting used to the changes.

I also did speak to my doctor about my concerns with how "others" were doing and I was basically told that since my surgeon is so excellent, I'm not going to have a lot of the side-effects that others have, and I can start living my new life from Day 1. So hooray for that!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/31/15 6:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Wow. You have an astounding knack for reading exactly what you want to read. Best of luck to you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 11:43 pm, edited 7/30/15 11:45 pm

Ah! There's that rudeness that these forums are so well known for! Since you're clearly not grasping why my response was what it was, let me help you:

"After seeing thousands of people writing in detail about their weight loss process, patterns emerge." - Like I mentioned, I meticulously follow and studied the plans and food diaries of people who are inspiring to me, with similar starting weights and end goals. I saw the patterns emerge and it made me feel better about my plan, because I find I am doing a lot of what they did early on - in terms of food, activity, etc.

"Those who count calories do better than those who don't." - Yep! This is a well-known fact in weight loss. I count my calories every single day, even though my medical team wants me to focus on protein only. 

"Those eating smaller portions and fewer calories during the early months do better than those that don't." - I hardly think eating 600-900 calories a day is outside of the scope of doing well. My portion sizes are small. They are exactly what my medical team recommended (I posted a sample meal plan for the first week out of surgery, for comparison. That is exactly how I am eating, except with one shake a day.) I think I''ll go with my doctors here and not random internet people.

"Those who drink empty calories, especially those in alcohol, don't do as well as those who don't." - Yes. Again, quite an obvious point related to weight-loss as a whole, not just surgery. I owned up to cheating and having 2 glasses of white wine. Have it done it since? Am I drinking empty calories? No. It's wonderful how when people admit they cheat with high-carb sweets or stuff totally off plan, they're encouraged to pick themselves up and remember that tomorrow is a new day, etc., yet 2 glasses of wine bring everyone up in arms. Even my doctor's reaction wasn't as dramatic as the ones on here.

"Those *****fuse to eat the less nutritious crap on the plans from their doctors and nutritionists do better than those who say "but it's on my plan."" - Great! As I have mentioned several times, all I eat is nutritious, whole foods. Lots of lean meats, but mostly fish and seafood. Started my cooked veggies on Month 2. I don't eat anything artificial, highly processed, etc. So that's encouraging, also.

"Learning from others who have been down the same road is always a good choice." - Then I am in a good place. See Point 1.

There. Hopefully that clears things up a little bit.

Most Active
Recent Topics