Doctor Told Me I Wouldn't Be Happy With a Sleeve

Jami1371
on 7/29/15 7:18 am

WOW!  You lost 257 lbs in 10 months?????  That is amazing!  Good for you!!!!!  I know that is not the "norm" with the sleeve, how did you do it?

Jami

sechax0r
on 7/29/15 7:24 am
VSG on 11/03/14

Strict adherence to diet (70g of protein/30g of carbs), less than 700 cals per day. Exercise 6 days a week, 3 days with a trainer (now 2 due to budget) and 3-4 days of cardio, and lots of water. 

I weigh twice a day. Once in the morning, and once at night. Night weight is always higher but I can accurately predict when my morning weight will be lower. 

jamrodriguez
on 8/3/15 2:19 am

I actually had an opposite reaction when I started seeing surgeons for consultations (I saw 3 different ones before I chose the one I ended up with). I had gone in wanting an RNY, because a friend of mine had it 9 years ago and I was very familiar with it, also because at my highest weight I was 366lbs. Every surgeon I saw actually ensured me I could lose as much weight with the sleeve as with the RNY. However, because the sleeve does not have the malabsorption aspect, it requires you to follow your program vehemently and commit to regular exercise and active lifestyle. I've always been active (I walk 4-5 miles a day at work, lift, bend, stoop, etc. every day), and the surgeon I chose was 100% confident that I would be very successful with the sleeve as long as I stayed with the food and fitness program. 

Here's something to consider: every surgeon I saw charged about $5000-$7000 more for RNY. Perhaps the surgeon you saw only wants to do RNY because he can make more money from it?

Whatever the reason he gave you this bogus data, I would find a different surgeon. Personally, I would only feel safe with a surgeon who is comfortable performing all WLS available, because that means he/she has educated themselves to best fit the needs of their individual patients.

Jami1371
on 8/3/15 6:58 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.  I never thought that it could be he wants to make more money off of me.  I am going to look into a different surgeon and see what they have to say.  

Most Active
Recent Topics