Doctor Told Me I Wouldn't Be Happy With a Sleeve

winehead
on 7/27/15 8:35 pm

Yep get a second opinion

poplargreys
on 7/27/15 8:40 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I'm not even 4 months post-op and I've lost almost 70lbs, and more than 100 from my highest weight. My doctor has complete confidence in my ability to reach my goals with the sleeve, as long as I follow my program's nutrition and activity guidelines. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 2:42 pm

Hey! We had the same surgeon! :)

Mathew M.
on 7/27/15 11:14 pm

See another surgeon for a second opinion.  I chose the sleeve over the rny because other than the smaller stomach, it doesn't alter your normal digestive system.

And my research showed far better results than he quoted you.  Ask Grimm on this board.  The man lost a staggering 289 pounds on his sleeve.

They are all just tools.  The real measure of success will be your and your behavior.  There is no magic bullet...its a helping hand.  

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/28/15 5:15 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I think Grimm had the rny, but others, I think Geekmonster & Nikki lost over 200lbs, a lot of other people, myself included, lost over a hundred pounds.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

bob-h
on 7/28/15 5:17 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12
On July 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM Pacific Time, matthewmarino wrote:

See another surgeon for a second opinion.  I chose the sleeve over the rny because other than the smaller stomach, it doesn't alter your normal digestive system.

And my research showed far better results than he quoted you.  Ask Grimm on this board.  The man lost a staggering 289 pounds on his sleeve.

They are all just tools.  The real measure of success will be your and your behavior.  There is no magic bullet...its a helping hand.  

Don't mean to sound negative on your reply but I do believe Grim had the RNY 

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

frisco
on 7/28/15 1:14 am

I would 100% believe him...... than run !!!

He is telling you that he is not very good at the VSG. The VSG is NOT a standardized procedure and his recipe is way below the potential.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

zann50
on 7/28/15 4:18 am

DITTO, Frisco's post!!!!

Zann

VGS- 2015

MihkailaInIndy
on 7/28/15 4:21 am - IN
VSG on 06/26/13

If you want the sleeve, difinitely find another surgeon.  My surgeon's practice does VSG, RNY, and DS.  She told me when I came in with over 200 lbs to lose that any of the 3 would get me where I wanted to be, depending on my level of compliance.  Currently, I am down 180 of those pounds, and still losing, though at a much slower rate.  (I really should update my ticker at some point.)

HW:409 SW: 382  CW: 220  M1:-28  M2:-17  M3:-14  M4:-15  M5:-14  M6:-12  M7:-10  M8:-9  M9:-5   M10:-5  M11:-6  M12: -11 M13: -5  M14: -4  M15:-5  M16:?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/28/15 5:27 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Ditto Kairk, probably 2% of his patients lose that much with the vsg.

Some surgeons are only comfortable with their particular procedure & will guide you towards that particular one. Compliance is a major factor here.

I believe with the malabsorption procedures like the rny & ds, there is room for you to totally screw up & still lose weight, albeit you can't screw it up too much, simple carbs will still have you gain or not lose weight, no matter which 1 you choose, but there is a "honeymoon" period where it'll feel like the weight will fall off with little effort.

That period ends with the rny, or any wls, you'll still lose, but it won't be anywhere near how it was in the beginning., in fact every "honeymoon" period has an ending & that's when the real work kicks in. Every wls slows down the further you get from surgery, but if you stay with the plan & are totally compliant, you'll reach your goal, no matter which wls you choose.

I chose the sleeve & am happy with my choice.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics