Toning up question

Kappy5150
on 7/26/15 5:54 pm

I'm at 6 months post op and down 80 lbs since my start weight when I met with the dr. I loathe exercise and have not had any active exercise plan. Now that I have lost 80lbs and hitting 6 months I know the weight loss will slow and I have the lovely flappy skin. At this point I will have to suck it up and actively exercise if I'm going to hit my goal weight. I know exercise and toning won't take away flabby skin but wondered if anyone else has been successful if tightening things up so it's not as flabby and how long did it take before you noticed the difference. I still have about 30 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight of 120. I'm only 5'1" and would love to see if my body can get that low and stay. I don't ever recall being that small. And at 44 it's hard as hell to catch the exercise bug. 

JoeyJo
on 7/26/15 6:01 pm - NJ

Moisturize. A. Lot.

Gwen M.
on 7/26/15 6:14 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My advice?  Try absolutely everything - stick to each thing you try for a month before giving up on it.  Eventually, you'll find something that you actually enjoy and, when you do, do that thing a lot :D  There is no one right exercise - the best exercise is the exercise you'll do.  If you won't do it, it won't make a bit of difference.  

So.. try walking, try running, try biking if you've got access to a bike.  Or swimming if you have access to a pool!  Join a gym that has a wide variety of classes and try every one of them that seems remotely appealing to you.  Give it a month before giving up.  Exercise often really sucks the first few times when you're uncoordinated and feel stupid, but after the first few times of feeling inept it can turn into something amazing, but you won't know unless you give it a really good chance.  

That all said, I've lost 140 pounds and still have 30-60 more that I'd like to lose.  I exercise a lot (1-4 hours a day, depending on the day) and I've got a ton of excess skin.  It doesn't keep me up at night, but I know that I'll need to pursue plastic surgery one day if I want it to go away.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

E_Saenz
on 7/26/15 7:33 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm afraid I will need it too but not for a while I'm having my sleeve done August 112th exercise ball for core exercise 

Elia Maria Saenz

Sandra F.
on 7/27/15 5:59 am

@Kappy5150 - I'm with you on the exercise, absolutely loathe it.  And no matter how many times I try, it will never change that I hate it.  I just have to suck it up and do it.  But you are right, it get's way harder to lose the last pounds unless you do it, so bite the bullet and go for it.  Good luck!

justpete
on 7/27/15 6:56 am
VSG on 04/02/13

exercise doesnt do a ton for he skin, but helps fill it up so it doesnt look so blah.  After I lost my weight i was feeling really hollow in the mid section ... like below my rib cage it was all sunken in, and the skin was hanging really bad.  started doing stuff like deadlifts and other standing exercises that activate my core and a year later, its all filled up and looks a lot better! same for arms, i have like no lose skin on the arms (unless I pull at it!)  it's still there, just filled with muscle.

just take the plunge, get a good MUSCLE BUILDING routine from a trainer and stick with it a few times a week.  I say muscle building because that is what you should ask the trainer for ... if you mention fat loss, they'll give you some silly cardio thing which isnt going to really help with the skin appearance.  I joined gym at 41, never having EVER been in a gym or exercised at all really ... just commit to do it 3 times a week for 6 weeks ... that will be enough to make it a habit.  then it's clear sailing from then on.  :)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

michele1
on 7/27/15 10:36 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Try lifting weights, I don't care much for exercise but love heavy lifting!!!! It really helps fill things in and trust me you won't bulk up like a dude. I did gain a few pounds at first but toned up and lost inches!!! Research or get a few lessons/trainer to start, correct form is the most important.

Try everything till you find something you love....you will find something!!!!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Tracy D.
on 7/28/15 10:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Going to a gym on my own never worked for me - I'd always find some excuse not to go.  I joined a gym last year that does group HIIT training 3 days a week (kickboxing) and resistance bands 3 days a week.  I go to the 4:30 class and have made friends.  

Now it's a habit - I've actually told myself I'm NOT going but my car just seems to automatically go there :-) It helps too that this place is directly on my way home from work - I have to drive by it every day!

So for me the keys to regular exercise were finding something close to my house and building relationships with the people I see almost every day.  It's the only thing that has ever worked. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics