Weight/size issues

Tracy D.
on 7/29/15 1:40 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I want to ask where you shop because I'm 5'3" and very lean at 130 lbs. Even with my recent lower body lift I don't wear a size 4.  Well, maybe at Old Navy because their sizes are huge!  So yes, I think your doctor is wise to suggest that you lose more if the goal is to get you to a healthy BMI.  

However, the weight you are comfortable at is a very individual choice.  If you look good, feel good and can comfortably maintain the weight your'e at - then tell your doctor you just want to maintain.  No one - not even the doctor - can force you to lose more weight.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 7/29/15 1:48 pm

I fully understand that we all have different frames, and 168 on one 5'4'' woman could look totally different that the same stats on someone else. But, your BMI is sitting at a tick under 29. I read research that for women the ideal bmi is 22-23. I get that is not true for ALL women, but most anyway. I also respect that you are down to only 2 meds, and that is positively wonderful! The extra weight you are still carrying, however, predisposes you to more health issues potentially down the road. Stay in this for the long game! Regain of 5% of your loss is very typical too. My daughter is 6'2'' and weighs in at 150- she is not outrageously skinny by anyone's definition, and if she were to gain more it would be muffintop tummy pudge at this point. She wears a size 2 or 4 depending on what store she shops at. Clothing sizes don't mean much in other words. I am the same height as my daughter, have a bmi of 25 at the moment, and wear a size 12- and I am "thick"... if it were not for my cancer status I would have absolutely dropped down a few ticks on the bmi scale. I can also vouch for once you are out of your weight loss phase mindset it is more difficult to lose later on strictly from a discipline standpoint. Go after it now. We all possess the skills of gaining should that end up being something you need to do to adjust if you find that you truly are too thin for your likes once you drop that weight. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Laura in Texas
on 7/30/15 7:24 am, edited 7/30/15 7:24 am

What are your measurements, just out of curiosity??? I am 5'7" tall and weigh 140. My measurements are 36-27-36 and I generally wear a size 6. Clothing sizes are insane. I agree with the others- pick something else besides clothing size to base your health on. Perhaps body fat percentage or waist size. The dexa scan is the best way to determine an accurate bodyfat percentage. Other methods are much less accurate.

Too many people fool themselves into believing they are "too thin" which usually ends up leading them to a huge regain. Be careful.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

alicefive
on 8/1/15 3:42 pm

I am going to buy a measuring tape hopefull this week and will post my measurements. 

alicefive
on 8/1/15 3:47 pm

I posted before but forgot to say, I am going to look into a DeXa scan. When I got sleeved my doctor did say I had a lot of fat around my organs. I looked like I was nine months pregnant but that was the biggest part of me. I also went from a C cup to Nearly A cup😔. Now I am in proportion but definitely need a tummy tuck. the rest of my skin is okay. One more thing, you look amazing! 

Catsi51
on 7/31/15 11:25 am

Wow. Interesting. Before becoming obese, I used to weigh 163 lbs at 5'11" and I wore a size 12/14 !!!! For my height and bone structure, 163 lbs was right where I should have been, but like I said, I wore a 12/14. I cannot imagine how, at 5'4" and 168 lbs you are weighing a size 6!! Where do you shop?!? ;-)

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

alicefive
on 8/1/15 3:32 pm

I shop at J Crew, Banaba Republic, the White Company (a British store), Boden, Talbots and Nordstroms.  Also Target!.  I usually order from the Internet. That is why I wrote this email. I don't understand it either. No one believes me when I tell them how much I weigh.  We have a scale at work and I weighed myself in front of a couple of women. Now they believe me. When I weighed under 160 I can wear size 4 pants and size small shirts. A younger woman I work with is an inch shorter than me, weights about 125( she weighed herself on that same scale at work) and we have the exact same pair of black  Minnie pants from J Crew. I just got put on a new medication 13 days ago and have dropped 7 pounds. It is making so sick I can't eat. My fours are fitting again, but still a little tight in the waist. I will be very interested to see what happens when I get to my goal. Plus remember you are 7 inches taller. I guess that everyone is built differently. I also find that the more expensive the clothes the sizes are more generous. I love Target clothes but some of them run really small. Then I may have to size up. I am just worried at my age that too much of a weight loss will accentuate my wrinkles. I did end up getting fillers done in my face. So I don't have any answers. 

Most Active
Recent Topics