Being Normal

JoeyJo
on 7/24/15 7:44 am - NJ

From the start of this process, I have just wanted to be "normal" which I considered to be a healthy weight of 170 and hoped to get to 159 lbs. which is a normal BMI for a 5' 7" woman).  A co-worker today said that I have gotten so "skinny".  I laughed and said that I have been stuck for more than a month, but I'm just plugging along.  She asked if I want to be emaciated.  I said no, I just want to be normal.  She said that I am normal. 

Last night, my psychologist said that losing and maintaining 80% of my excess weight is a success... (80% is 186 lbs. so GREAT SUCCESS!)  He also said to remember why I had the surgery, think of the things I wanted to be able to do that were inhibited by the weight.  Have they been achieved.  Yes.  Blood Work/Medical checkup good?  Yes.  Again, great success.  He said then weight is no longer a problem.  Weight. Is. No. Longer. A. Problem!

With that relief, I am continuing to follow my eating and exercise plan.  If I continue to lose weight, great.  If I don't, I will happily maintain.  My body will know what to do and even though the scale has not dropped in a month, I have gone down another size.  I am shopping clearance racks and good will because I do not think my body is done, I think it is taking a breather before dropping again. 

This is NOT me giving up or settling, this is me being happy.

StephK10
on 7/24/15 8:29 am

Thank you for this post.  I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm a 5'7" woman and my first goal was 170.  Now that I've hit that, I want to get to a normal BMI.  So I have the same weight goal as you!  I am staring at the scale...WHICH IS NOT MOVING...and trying to be happy with the amazing success I've had so far. It's hard to decide whether a goal is one we should keep.  Should we be happy where we are?  

I think part of my fear is that if I've hit my goal weight of 170, any movement up from that should be considered a failure.  Does that make sense?  I fear being above my 170 goal.

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

E_Saenz
on 7/24/15 9:34 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Your starting weight is similar to mine however I'm extremely short 4'11" 265Lbs is where I started and now I'm 260lbs my surgery is so soon and I'm hoping for the awesome result that you have goal is a big deal but all of us are a work in progress!

Elia Maria Saenz

Tracy D.
on 7/24/15 8:30 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

And I am thrileed for you, Jo!  Sounds like a very sane and sensible plan moving forward.  Congratulations on all your success 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/24/15 8:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

People who have only known us as MO are often unsure what to think when they see us at a "normal" weight because they're not used to it.

Sounds like you're doing fabulous, keep it up!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cappy11448
on 7/24/15 9:22 am

I'm 5'7.5" also, and I set my first goal at 180.  When I reached it, I noticed I still had a pot belly, so I decided my next goal was to get rid of the pot.  I lost another 22 pounds, and the pot belly was smaller but still there.  When I consulted a plastic surgeon, he informed me that it was all excess skin!  But at 158, I was a normal BMI, and that was a great goal for me.  I stopped dieting and have been maintaining between 158 and 164 for about a year.  When I hit 165, I cut bac****il I'm down to 160.  And it works for me.

Truthfully, I looks good at 180 and I know it would be ok to regain a little, but I am deathly afraid of losing control and regaining, so I'm going to hold it at 160 at least for a while. 

congratulations on all your success.  I'm so glad you are happy.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

E_Saenz
on 7/24/15 9:27 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Congratulations on your successful outcome if you continue great then your striving for the most magnificent outoutcome possible nothing is wrong with that you will discover you were there the whole time and was already awesome!  Thanks for the inspiration that your post has given me!

Elia Maria Saenz

psychoticparrot
on 7/24/15 9:27 am

Everything I've read about WLS is that the ultimate Scale Victory is when you reach a weight that enables you to live a healthy, active life. One author (I can look it up if anyone is interested) wrote that men seem to have a better attitude when it comes to achieving a healthy goal weight. They may not weigh what they did in high school, but as long as they feel good, are active, and their bloodwork is good, they don't mind carrying a few "extra" pounds. Women, on the other hand, tend to aim for weights they believe will make them look good and are not as content with just being healthy. 

For example, my goal weight is 120 (I'm a 5'1" female, BTW). That's what I weighed in my 30s. But I plan to be flexible about that goal. For one thing, I'm in my 60s now, so no matter what I do, I'm not going to look 30 again; nor should I. If I find that I'm healthy and active at 150 or 140, I'm going to say "Touchdown!" and maintain from there.

Sounds like you just may have reached goal. If so, Congratulations! But even more congrats are in order if you feel "normal" again, no matter what the scale says.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

GoBlueGirl1998
on 7/24/15 9:39 am - MI

You stole my thunder! lol! I have been thinking along the same lines you are. I'm 5'8" and I have reached my first goal of 180. My next goal is 170. I think I look fantastic and feel amazing at 180! The scale has been moving a lot slower! Like you I'm continuing my eating plan and I'm sure I'll get to 170, but I won't stress and be a slave to the scale or freak out if I don't lose for two weeks! Like you, the scale has moved slowly this past month and yet I have dropped another clothing size! What a wild ride this has been and will continue to be!! Best of luck to you! I love hearing you're happy!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

ABair
on 7/24/15 10:25 am
VSG on 01/14/15

My starting weight was 399 , surgery weight 369, and current weight is 234  and I am 5'4".  I didn't really set a goal.  My goal was to be healthier, eat better, and exercise.  I would like to get to 180 or less, but I am thrilled with my progress and will just continue working the sleeve.  I should be able to make that since I am only 6 months post surgery.

Lisa 

Most Active
Recent Topics